SOP on alcohol (ISO/ETOH) & chlorophyl/wax removal

Not sure if your solvent of choice has any water solubles in it, but I found something interesting. If i flush a couple litres of water overtop a dry load I would pull off a ton of red and yellow pigment. It didn’t have any colour or taste, and boiled away into near nothing. But was useful for a colour removal right off the bat.

Just another thought. Would running hot water over the system melt out some plant wax? Or increase the solubility in water? Or a mild water/alcohol mix?

Running hot water or hot solvent in a column can be a problem. The problem is that the solvent can solvate more when hot but upon cooling the compound can drop out. This is a classic error and often results in compound then getting stuck in the column.

This would be a textbook answer. I have run early on warm solvent because it disolves stuff quickly then without thinking ran it on my column. I recovered most but it got stuck. Textbook answers though often shoot innovation in the foot and perhaps you find application but beware of the classic problem with this insofar as sticking compound inside a column.

Nice work my friend.:nerd_face:

2 Likes

Ah, so might be better off running the warmed/hot water just over a frit with a resin saturated dry celite pack beforehand. Then moving it onto the column later? (making sure the cannanbanoids dont melt out?)

I think I’d need to make sure the resin was decarbed beforehand? I’m worried the thc-a would be water soluble? Do you think that would be a concern?

And thx :slight_smile: the amount of colour removal is pretty wild. I can’t imagine that not effecting my ability to make a high quality distillate or something afterwards.

Also just realized a bunch of waxes are non-polar, so it wouldn’t make much sense trying to pull them out that way.

1 Like