Solvent to Biomass Ratio

Propane is 5 - 6 lb of solvent per lb of dry material, I’d say.

I figured it was more. Just wasn’t sure, as I haven’t used it by itself, yet

Propane by itself is pretty nice. I’ve also had really good results using it hot. Stink your tank in a bucket of steaming hot water for about a minute or two (till the top of the tank feels warm), not too long or the pressure will get too high for the tank, depending on how much gas is in there. I’ve seen consistent 18% - 20% yields of saucy golden sugar from using hot propane on good trim. I bet you can find out and even better tek, though!

4 Likes

Try soaking cold, then letting it warm up in that same # range, 20-30mins

2 Likes

Do you think you’re pulling a bunch of undesirables at that point? 18-20% on trim is pretty rare in my experience.

4 Likes

Anyone else have more data on the subject, what the different hydrocarbon yields are from different ratios like a 3 to 1 (solvent to material) vs a 6 to 1? Plus how long soaking affects all this.

2 Likes

How about for live runs? how much are you guys running per pound of wet material?

Ive caulculated and i dot just over 5lb per lb of material, i try not to soak too long.

whats a long soak to you?
Longest ive gone was 30min and the end result looked like rosin lol, granted i was still dialing in crc. Now depending on how dry the material is i try never to go over 10min as a max.

10-1
On a live run i don’t soak.
Just run from material column to dewax and then stall for 2-3hrs

2 Likes

It’s gets me around having to put dry ice on the material column.

2 Likes

10 minutes is long to me

2 Likes

You shouldn’t soak. But if your heart absolutely desires to use a closed jacket dewaxing column with chiller. I bottom flood slowly very slowly until i see clear with open dewax column.

Thought 5 lbs of butane to 1 pound of bio mass was a good ratio , and though a 8x36 inch dewaxing spool would hold about 5 pounds of bio mas so got a 25lb solvent and collection tank but when I got the solvent and collection tanks in the mail and compared them to my dewaxing spool they just looked crazy small …? Should I get bigger tanks/ double up and tee my tanks , or do u think what I have will be effective ?

Are you the guy that was just recently telling @Killa12345 that you were planning to put him out of business selling extractors?

I’ll assume that must be going great!

4 Likes

That’s me :grin:

2 Likes

Wanted to chime in here as this has been a point of study for my team and I! We did a cryogenic extraction on three separate batches of flower. Solvent ratio was ~ 1.4 gal EtOH / 1 lb Biomass.
Soaks were 10m and spun dry. Samples were collected and brought to my lab for analysis. There we dried the flower in an oven at 60C until dry and then a potency analysis was performed. %'s are reported as total cannabinoids as a percentage of weight.

Sample 1 Sample 2 Sample 3
Baseline 7.23% 7.21% 7.22%
Run # Remaining % Extraction Efficiency Remaining % Extraction Efficiency Remaining % Extraction Efficiency
1 1.41% 80.50% 1.41% 80.44% 1.40% 80.61%
2 2.23% 69.16% 1.85% 74.34% 1.85% 74.38%
3 2.21% 69.43% 2.24% 68.93% 2.23% 69.11%

Sample 1 we believe was anomalous as the curve didn’t emerge as we intuited. We attribute this to mis-calibration on our HPLC and poor peak definition. However, samples 2 & 3 appeared to follow to curve we were expecting. The total extraction efficiency for samples 2 & 3 were approximately 75% of all available cannabinoids.

The take away is that you could use the same alcohol many times over and still get a return. You could also gradually increase your soak times as you reuse the alcohol to make up for the lower extraction efficiency, but it comes down to costs. Increased run times will reduce your overall extraction throughput. So for what you save in solvent you will lose out on in profit/revenue. I would be curious to see how temperature would affect these curves (colder vs hotter) and different solvents.

Some other missing items which would have a large impact is the consistency of the material, its mill, and the moisture content of the biomass itself. What are your guys’ thoughts?

8 Likes

I wonder how ultrasonication affects extraction efficiency. I want to see how 3 minutes at 70% amplitude 15 on/3 off, does. Now that my GC is running, maybe I’ll do a small scale test to see

Thanks @Trenkos this is my favorite kind of data, i miss having an hplc to do tests in house, i was lucky enough to have one at my first job to figure out some efficiency stuff on the butane side of things.

2 Likes

i was gonna reso=pond but the thread is so old im sure its sorted. Most of it whould be recovered in a cls. LEAKS? Im sitting on a tube at 40 psi for a few weeks= im busy and lazy- I gotta make an extration day soon. im lazy now but drining and dont wanna extract= I havent pulled a sober extraction yet but was close last time= just a warm run straight to gummy. i still fucked it up after drinking on the recovery, shoudve used my pump coil and ice. some hoses leak= its consistent amongst suppliers = hoses leak. makes no sense to me because pressures are low compared to hose ratings but its over and over on the connections. not the jic but the hose itself like the ass of the hose.connection. not mid hose. it would really sux if if was running nos on a car and this bs was happening.

Get better hoses, where they actually crimp it on correctly/all the way