So.. Trying to blow the doors off of Crystallization

Yeah it stops at -30, and it went a little over when I wasn’t looking for a minut but maybe more in the -30.xx. (one review stated the vacuum generator was to strong for the pot and could easely destroy it left unattended, but he was happy with it and stil gave 4 stars on the kit)

1 Like

Haha, I think that was my review actually. I imploded the acrylic top of an Amazon “vacuum chamber” but didn’t really care too much because I bought the kit for the 7cfm budget 2-stage pump.

1 Like

Lol, yeah oké, dont leave unattended, got mine from Amazon too, looks like same pot too.

My best assumption would be because it doesnt want to stay in the solution it tries finding ways out, and in the proces creates tiny water particels throughout the whole solution that get trapt, causing too many points of nucleation and then everything crashing out to sugar? Idk😂 finished high skool on healthcare on almost the lowest level, never really paid attention and later years didnt have no science stuff since I went healthcare.

My Latest little jars going:

The first one was a batch of mimosa×orange punch with budder like consistentancy that I wanted too crystalize, took about a week or so? (I should really wright stuff down)

And this one, wel I did everything I learned wrong on purpose.

I took decent little nugs, slightly on the wet side of cured (grow had almost no fluff)

Blasted it with 85/15 butane/propane blend, took material out, let if freeze by evaporation😂mixed and crunched a little and blasted again.

Repeated this 2 times, and for the hell of it I than let the material soak in the solution for a couple of minuts.

Al the solution was collected in one jar and capped when still liquid.

Liquid turned out dark as expected but
against what I expected stil crystalized and these look more defined than my previous ones, And still they keep forming around day 3/4.

Love making this stuff😂

2 Likes

See: Thc-a Recrystallization (alex siegel method)

Kind of like a really dry martini: “just mutter vermouth over the glass…”

All you really need to do in OR (most of the year) is whisper “anti-solvent”

…and with our current gas supply, no such incantation is necessary…

15 Likes

Might should move this…

What about a Medusa fix that involved mining in butane, over water?!?

(Nevermind, will create “floral water”)

3 Likes

Super cool.

I don’t seed, and I don’t do any extra voodoo if not necessary.

Curious to see the number of ways people instigate crystallization.

If I have a “dud” jar, I may use a needle utensil to place some points of nucleation on the very surface of the material.

But from there, low and slow.

1 Like

Was gonna say, wouldn’t that suck up terps and other light volatiles.

Floral water sounds lovely though.

1 Like

not if the reason you’re creating it is your butane needs a bath (comes in dirty from the manufacturer)…

so yeah, dumb idea number 600432

1 Like

Believe so, some DI or Distilled water during distillation of dirty solvent in question, hopefully catching sulfides/mercaptans/other water soluble nasties.

If my memory serves correct.

Did I get a gold star sticker? @cyclopath.

I f@#$in’ live, for golden star stickers.

4 Likes

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but ostwald ripening is purty neato.

3 Likes

Update 5 days later:

Looks nice enough😂dont think ill wait much longer.

I took some crystals that were small sandy but clear and pretty clean of terps, about 150grams or so I decided to try a butane re x
Day 4

This is day 8 h

2 Likes

Soo this is them today at like day 10/11ish from harvest/extraction to this.

So in theorie I can use this lil ladies as seeds? The biggest ones at least.

Collect all my other Thc-a sand/crystaline dissolve in pentane/heptane or other solvent, at the right level of saturation drop in a seed en try to grow it bigger?

Love this journey lol😂

Also does anyone now how trichome color effects extracts? Got a red/purple strain with even some of the trichomes ending up red😂

Again thanks to the community here I found this strain, cant recall were exactly they were mentioned on this forum.

The strain is Red hot cookies from Sweetseeds or something, phenos all over the place but at least I got one good one out of it.

2 Likes

I believe @Autumn_Ridge_Hemp ran that in his aero system

3 Likes

You don’t necessarily need to seed…
You can use butane to re x like I posted above, and it works amazingly, in a diamond miner, I’m not sure how you would dissolve it in a jar without a catastrophe using butane.
I didn’t go over 120f to redisolve, did leave some undissolved but I did crush to a powder first, it was just the larger pieces that didn’t break up that didn’t redissolve, they acted as seeds, but the clear pretty ones started where there was no seed, the seeds made foggy crystals.

Then lowered my temp to 72f and 4 says later I had large crystals started, once you see no more growth you can increase the temp, or burp off some butane.

Plus it might teach you some valuable experience with butane saturation levels.

Once I get it more dialed I got a feeling it’s going to create some fascinating facets.

5 Likes

Very facetnating work

13 Likes

The blend I got on hand is is 85/15 butane/propane thats making the pressure slightly higher even, if im correct at least.

But with small enough jar I should be ok, also dont have a lot of material to work with being a hobby grower.

Got my eyes on a paint pressure pot.

If I may ask, why you use butane over pentane/heptane for re-x?

But for personal use these are kind of already to big, the sauce with some sugar is were its at for me, easy to “paint” my rolling papers with.

Gonna try smoking a crystal in a pipe or something😂

1 Like

The main purpose of using butane for ReX is to not taint the terpene fraction. If you dial in your process you may be able to ReX faster with butane than other higher boiling point solvents like pentane and heptane as well

3 Likes