Small scale home extraction set up questions

To fractionally distill terpenes that would’ve boiled off with ethanol.

Limonene is flammable

3 Likes

Indeed!!

48C flash point, and a 0.7% LEL

https://www.osha.gov/chemicaldata/797

3 Likes

Limonene is a pain as an extraction solvent! When Horatio was around I got excited and played around with it, including building a steam injected shortpath to recover the limonene like he did. Like cyclopath mentioned it’s not easy to get the last ppms out of your extract so everything just tastes like citrus.

3 Likes

I’ve said multiple times I don’t plan on smoking it so I couldn’t care less about the taste or the appearance.

I also don’t care if 100% of the ethanol is removed which is one reason why I wanted to go this route from the beginning instead of butane. Cost and obvious additional safety concerns are the other reasons.

3 Likes

Oh I know if it isn’t going to be worth my time, per se, when I could just go buy it for only about 50% more cost, but I just kind of want to do it. I’m even tempted to take it to 100% with either a chemical or mechanical dryer just for shits and giggles.

1 Like

Those two have all the fun…

———

Folks huff RSO.

Just because YOU are not planning on huffing the stuff doesn’t mean that information useful to the next person reading this thread should be skipped…

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the above does imply huffing your meds had crossed your mind…

If you’re after terpenes and ONLY looking to EAT the end result, turns out olive oil does a better job that ethanol…

See: Stupid question... oils tinctures/lipid infusion

3 Likes

Yes, if I ended up with a good smokable product then I would. That wasn’t the end goal and would have just been a nice bonus.

Olive oil, coconut, mct oil etc extractions won’t work for all the applications I have in mind.

1 Like

Just soak your leftover patties in etho and make rso that way.

3 Likes

My friend made RSO on his grill lol. If he can anyone can.

OP’s best bet tbh

Gray wolf’s lair and read up on bho.

Do everything outside. Read read read.

1 Like

maybe start here: A (likely) unsolvable problem with ethanol extraction (keep them terps!)

if you really want to tackle a problem that needs solved, there is always: Ethanol's expensive. Make your own from your waste biomass?

1 Like

true.

you mentioned edibles/topicals…

NOT mentioning direct oil infusion would have been doing you a disservice.

if you have enough cutlery

6 Likes

No, you’re absolutely right. For different applications it would be a good solution. Hell, I might still do that for the topicals since I will likely use cocoa butter and/or coconut oil in the lotions. I actually hadn’t even consider just extracting straight into that base. That might make it considerably more stinky though.

ummmmm???

2 Likes

Read some more…

1 Like

Idk you did no say tane if no other way but maybe you do find it intresting,

this what I got from about 30/40ish? Grams (I really need to start measuring stuff)

My fifth or something like that try at making crystals/diamonds/ thca, even the first time I was surprised how good the stuff was compared to regular bho I made, and only from jarring up and playing with it.

Maybe Dimetyl Ether is something to look at? It seems to be getting populair here in Europe.

Got 2 cans but idk yet, when I feel like giving up a batch to test I will.

This stuff, some claim its good for terps, catches more cannabinoids and is easier to purge but never used, and still planning to learn more about the stuff.

https://www.dexso.com/d-m-e

Ether is also a lot nastier to work with than any other common cannabinoid solvent. I was specifically looking at the different forms of ether for extraction and I’ve read mixed things about the resulting product.

1 Like

Methanol is technically the end all when it comes to cannabis because of how well it winterizes. However, you need to make sure your end result is purged to perfection.

Rosin press what u can to get the terps u desire, then throw the pucks into alcohol in a ultrasonic cleaner (you may want some sort of glass weight to hold the jars down if there not completely full). You can probably do it in mason jars, then filter the pucks out with a simple coffee filter, put the jars of alcohol back in with a vacuum cap on them, just a npt nipple pushed into the cap, gasketed and bolted on the other side. Get some sort of cold trap going between that and a cheap vaccum pump.

Most ultrasonic cleaners come with a basket, if u get one of those flip it upside down over the jars and feed the nipples thru the holes, u can use it to weigh down the jars when they are getting empty.
This should get u a very green rso type extract that works well for topicals and edibles as long as u dont mind the taste of weed.

You probably have mason jars and coffee filters, so ur purchases would be:
Ultrasonic cleaner (which can be diy)
Cold trap (can also be diy)
$80 vaccum pump
Alcohol

3 Likes

Looking for a little guidance here :spoon: :spoon:

I clean my stainless parts on my CLS with ethanol and because what I do is mostly hobby I am not big on scraping every little remnant out of the collection vessel or any of the other parts.

In the past I have used a little 300ml Source ExtractCraft for reclaiming the ethanol… sort of nice because my GF can use the oil left over in tinctures and topicals. The problem with the Source ExtractCraft beside the fact that after 6 years it took a shit over the weekend is that it takes hours to run through a liter of ethanol.

I have access to a 2L Roto Vap and after looking into everything that I would need I figure with as little as I will be using it I can probably get away with just picking up a Circulating Water Vacumn Pump to start with.

After that essay of a set up for this simple question…

Is Vevor a reputable brand… they seem to have a lot of stuff for sale without adding a huge “Green Tax”

1 Like