Sintered disc step-down filter stack for material columns in BHO machine

Merry Christmas :gift::snowman:

1 Like

Remember guys, give the columns a little room on top and bottom so it can ā€œchannelā€ through/flow and not come crashing through. And you donā€™t need to run at crazy pressures either. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Safety first

Tampon tek ftw
If u have a seperate holding vessel for u to dump the column in then the tampon tek is a life changer.

3 Likes

forsure just get some smaller micron socks so none of that plant matter gets threw

1 Like

We use a layer of cotton balls between the sintered disc and the media. No more clogging or flow issues.

4 Likes

Just any unbleached work?

Yes. Not a bad idea to use organic, but the non-organic balls we have we had tested for banned pesticides before we used them. All were ND. YMMV.

2 Likes

I never had issues with granular media is this happening with powder media?

this works really well! we sent out the cotton balls for lab testing just to make sure there was no pesticides or anything like that on them haha

1 Like

Sintered disk filtration really should only be used on crc and never stackedā€¦ Old methods die slowly.

The 50um socks keep the bio out.

I use a 10-20um sinter on crc and a 0.22um 10gpm post flow to clean up the rest that all the product flows through as well as a 1um upstream of the crc.

We offer both our filters and filter housingā€™s. Lots of options. 1um absolute that filters down to 0.01um at 98%, high flow antimicrobial, etc.

1 Like

Filtration should be stagedā€¦exactly how depends on your particle size distributionā€¦

1 Like

Yeah but not with sintered discā€¦

High flow cartridge. How many gallons per minute can you push through a sintered disk at 30psi?

The answer is not much at allā€¦ Or you could be never dealing with clogs and cranking at 10gpm all day long.

Donā€™t need replacing or cleaning often either.

Edit: the R600 Behemoth moving 30lbs a minute of propane is only 7gpm.

Iā€™m certain we could come up with a scenario where staged scintered disks would be appropriate.

I absolutely agree that ā€œbelow oneā€™s CRCā€ is not that scenario.

However, I vehemently disagree with teaching folks NOT to stage their filtrationā€¦(but I had that beaten into me by someone who dug into filtration deeply during her PhD).

What diameter?
What micron rating?

Size mattersā€¦but size distribution is key

1 Like

We do staged filtration on both just the solvent and just the extract.

1um-0.01um absolute, hydro, 50um bio, 1um crude, 10um crc, 0.22um final removal. Only the 10um is sintered disc on crc.

Doesnā€™t really matter, no one is doing above 6"crc typically and smaller dis provides less flow.

Edit: Iā€™m not saying donā€™t stage smaller micronā€¦ Instead only donā€™t stack sintered disc.

1 Like

If the particle properties could be specified for a filtration, the target properties would be for the particles to have as large a size as possible, be as near to spherical as possible, and have a monosize distribution. Their largeness would minimise the interactions at the particleā€“liquid interface, minimise the effects of ageing, effectively eliminate many cloth related problems such as bleeding and blinding and the need for very frequent cleaning,

Pity thatā€™s not how the real whirled worksā€¦

The particle size that is most important for characterising a filtration is rarely the mean size (50% size) in a distribution; the finer particles in the distribution usually ā€œcontrolā€ the filtration, and when comparing the likely effects of particle size on filtration it is preferable to compare the 5 or 10% sizes. Even small increases in the number of these finer particles can significantly reduce filtration rates.

As I would expect someone with your expertise toā€¦

Iā€™m just here to make sure folks like @Jock4200 donā€™t misinterpret ā€œno need to stack disksā€ as ā€œfilter it in oneā€.

Although Iā€™m not sure that folks as sophisticated as @Jock4200 would make it this farā€¦

Edit: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222956928_The_Influence_of_Particle_Properties_on_Filtration

1 Like

Disc filters are cheaper than the cartridge housing, but the thing people never really factor into their cost of goods is downtime not extracting because you are cleaning filters or clearing clogs.

The amount you save by buying sintered disc is lost exponentially as you use them.

1 Like

Preaching to the choir. We are only running them on our incoming solventā€¦.pre-distillation.

Low flow and low particulate loading applicationā€¦

1 Like

I want to know more, please show me, I currently stack sintered discs and use powder media such as b80. Your link does not lead to any kind of filtration equipment.

Talk to me goose!

3 Likes

Yeah, you really only need a 10-20um to get the majority out and hold the pack then send it through the high flow antimicrobial. We have a few different filters and housings to go with them. What exactly are you looking for?