Sintered disc plugged after ultrosonic cleaning

Try the pressure washer if possible, i just do that now after every use and have zero clogs. 1 micron paper on top of 5 micron plate with a sub micron filter chamber between them and honey pot.

I think it depends whats clogging it. If its powder then thats different than if its fat= use more prefilters, the sintered is for final cleanup.

4 Likes

I run 3 Prefilters so my disk never see powders and I’ve never had a clog and I run super cold every time

Powders getting on the disk plus cold equals clogged

2 Likes

Edited into thumpernese

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Thumper sighting

Hey Boss,

Just hazarding a guess, if your putting them flow side facing down in the ultrasonic bath, it seems like, based of what you’ve described that something non dissolving is being compacted into the pours gravitationally, and compounded by the vibration? Baking it in the oven caused it those potential deposits to harden?

If you put them flow side down in the sonicator, you should be fine, allowing non dissolving particulates to flow out and downward? Myrdin’s process announces that they are flow side facing upward and he has had no such similar issues?

1 Like

I have them sintered facing down so the debris falls out

1 Like

Do you wash them with etho before and after the sonic cleaner?

How long did you dry them for?

are you sonicating in EtOH? You don’t have to fill the entire sonicator, a ziplock bag will do.

2 Likes

I just stick it in the sonicator which its full of iso.

I also leave them in my vac oven overnight since iso has a lower boiling point and i imagine it has a hard time evaporating throughout the sintered side of the filter

Anywhoo
I think i may have baked something inside the disc somewhere. After sonicating with acetone and pushing n2 through the mesh side 3 times i kept having yellow waxy residue ozzing out the sintered side (photo up there showed it ^^^). At that point i put it back in my filter stack and ran a huge tank of 65c butane over it. Now they work completely fine and i went back to papers over the sintered side of my disc below my granulated media. Dhurr :joy:

Im 3 batches (90lbs) in and it flows through the filter full blast just how i like it when i do my remediation

Hoping i solved the problem. I literally think i “broke” the fitler and fixed it

2 Likes

You need to wash them with alcohol before and after the sonic cleaner. You’re not really cleaning them.

Again,

Use ethanol, preferably, isopropyl is meant for cuts, abrasions, and cleaning. 200 proof ethanol should be what you use. Isopropyl is also a contaminant.

Rinse well before the sonic cleaner and rinse well after. And change out the alcohol in the sonic cleaner too, bet that’s making it worse, too. I have discs that are almost three years old and I don’t have a single problem with them, I even have a 0.2 micron disc that’s two years old and it works just like new.

5 Likes

Thanks cheif!

I wasn’t when i had this issue. I did last time. I will switch to etho from iso. And set my little rotovap up to clean the etho each time