Silver and other triflates

Oh Christ…. I’ll have to see if I can find it again

1 Like

What about gallium triflate, did you try that?

I just learned that the Lewis acidity going down the 13th Group decreases B > Ga > Al > In > Tl and gallium upsets the expected order.

And in another article gallium triflate is considered an efficient and sustainable Lewis acid.

I’ve gotta alter some other parameters to test. But like… I’ve managed to get about 12 different acids to 65% d9 far lol

2 Likes

Was aluminum triflate one of them?

I just got back from vacation…

So yes, it is pyrophoric if it is concentrated or neat, but when diluted to less than 22% by weight in hexane, it isn’t. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/047084289X.rt256.pub2

The first time I ever experimented with the stuff I had a formulation that was 0.55M in hexanes. It shipped from the supplier without a septum. My colleague and I were nervous about this and so we took the small bottle outside into a wide open area, transferred a few drops on a petri dish and nothing happened. It probably sat there for about 5-10minutes doing nothing before we neutralized it with water.

Of course if a large enough amount of it dried out and was concentrated something bad could possibly happen, but it’s pretty harmless when it’s diluted. Personally I don’t mess around with large bottles of stuff for precisely this reason.

4 Likes

I guess the 1.0 molar solution in hexanes would be pyrophoric and come in a septum capped bottle. If my math is right the 1.0 molar solution is about 28% in TiBA.

Thanks for your reply!

2 Likes