Silly Huber, you're (supposed to be) a chiller, not a smoke generator

Yes, exactly! I was just curious as to what was in his refridgeration circuit that would require one. Typically I only see SSRs on resistive loads.

2 Likes

And now that I take the time to think for a second, you’re right, that’s not the right tool for most of the jobs on the task list except killing the main power… unless I decide to roll a motor controller from first principles. It wouldn’t be the first time.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend an SSR for that either I’m afraid. They tend to leak voltage which can be kind of sketchy for troubleshooting. They’re also pretty unnecessary and have lower MTTFd than guided contact contactors

Well, after a week of back and forth, Huber NA turned out to be as helpful as I expected.

After quoting us three different things that were incorrect, they eventually came back with “oops, we don’t actually have one of those on the shelf and they’re EOL, so you are SOL.”

So I’m sitting down with the electrical schematic and this thread is likely going to turn into “how to rip out your Polystat CC3 and replace it with off the shelf controls so your huber can actually be a chiller again if the controls toast” 101 & 201.

7 Likes

sounds about right i hate to say. for my personal experience Huber has always given me great customer service, even though they do charge quite a bit and push for sending in for service on things i can repair myself.
UNTIL the last couple months. i’ve had two units in with them, getting very very spotty communications about them from like 3 diff techs. i’ve come to learn they’re pretty short staffed at the moment, to where their technical director is actually on the floor repairing units too. i think they’re really trying theyre just stretched really thin on crucial people, so can’t keep up with orders, can’t keep parts stocked (i imagine covid didn’t help that part, supply chains and etc)
definitely here for the solutions being suggested, super interested to see the self-fix process. thanks for sharing

1 Like

We had a similar experience. A few of our units lost the ability to heat but wouldn’t produce any error code. Huber’s support was friendly and knowledgeable enough, but it dragged on over several weeks. Our representative said that at the time, they were giving higher priority to big pharma, especially vaccine manufacturers. When a tech finally came out to investigate the issue was quickly dismissed as non-warranty and we were left without a solution.

Hi Guys, My name is Cannon with Huber. I can promise we have always tried to make it work. Sorry for the board mounted microchip obsoletion on this unit. We really did globally try to find a board and confirm part numbers. We are just seriously unable to get them anymore. We still keep 9 pin laptops around to talk to any survivors of the 80’s we find. Good luck with the rewire if you need parts you know the email.

2 Likes

How complete a schematic do you have? Shouldn’t be terribly tough to delete the controls and just turn it into an on/off machine. Are the expansion valves electronic or mechanical?

2 Likes

The schematic is marginal at best, and we were warned that it has a significant chance of being incorrect. We’ve already identified at least a couple of places where that is the case.

And of course, it’s in German. I don’t know what I’d do without online translation services.

Unsure on the expansion valves, I’ll try to figure that out when I start digging into it.

1 Like

Can’t you just trick the compressor to turn on and just run? I’m sure you can setup a relay for when it reaches a temperature setpoint you like, unless you want it to just run, and switch it off.

Make sure to put a timer in there too so that the compressor doesn’t slug and damage itself if restarted again within a certain timeframe. Much newer Unistats lack this feature, ask me how I know.

3 Likes

The manufacturer notified you of this deficiency by immediately rectifying the problem before you were even aware of it?

:laughing:

3 Likes

I think I’ve got a handle on this one now. Managed to select an electrical schematic that appears to be darn close to the thing that we’ve got in front of us.

@SidViscous as far as my incompetent eyes can tell, I believe those are mechanical expansion valves?

Here are some 1k word substitutes and a short video showing the guts.

2 Likes

Yeah so this looks to be your TXV and it’s mechanical:

Is there really only one compressor in that unit? What’s the refrigerant? There are a bunch of solenoids that I’m not sure about their purpose. The only thing you couldn’t just jump open would be an oil return solenoid. I don’t see vapor/liquid injection on that compressor so you shouldn’t need to worry about that (and it would be mechanical as well). Assuming you just want this thing to be as cold as possible all the time, I’d just say jump the solenoids open and wire a switch to a contactor to power the compressor. Find the existing high pressure cutout switch and wire that in line with the switch for the contactor (a timer relay here that’s delay-before-make is helpful to keep the system from short cycling if it gets too hot). And hard wire the circulator on. Just make sure you keep load on it otherwise you may freeze your glycol but that’s usually not much of an issue. If you need actual temp control I can help with that too.

TLDR: remove everything from the controls other than the HPC.

Also, I’m fairly unimpressed by the construction of this chiller (although maybe it’s just aged). Shitty chinese jet pump for a circulator, nobody brushed the flux off the brazed joints, just seems a little half assed for what was a very “top of the line” unit.

4 Likes