Should I QWIT while I'm ahead?

Howdy

So I’ve got someone who grew some real nice outdoor and is on the world’s smallest budget…

He’s got 200L of isopropyl sitting around, a few regular freezers, and I’m trying to figure out the best way to use it to make some honey oil.

I’ve got some real nice bright ethanol extract with just dipping some mostly intact buds quickly into cold ethanol. Curious if anyone’s done the same with isopropyl? Should I expect more greens? More color?

Was gonna let those dry after a first pull, then grind em up and do a second pull and turn that into some lower grade stuff, but mostly curious if anyone has made gold with iso before?

Was gonna run over AC and t5 filter while it’s cold, then hit it with a membrane.

Mile high labs in CO used isopropyl and had a white paper on why if I remember correctly

Google fu:
Mile High Labs | Excellent CBD Ingredients.

As long as it’s not being sold as RSO you should be fine. Isopropyl metabolizes into acetone in the body. If it’s being distilled that’s not a worry at all.

4 Likes

Yah, I was gonna concentrate via membrane then Louche into pentane to finish, so I’ll have all traces of it gone :slight_smile:

Any ideas on color? I’m gonna run a test later but just wanted to see what it would look like.

1 Like

QWISO can absolutely compete with QWET

1 Like

I wouldn’t use iso unless I was going to disty.

I’ve always had good luck extracting with iso

1 Like

I’m surprised more people haven’t become buddies with a local distillery. We get free solvent from my landlord who’s a licensed distillery. I haven’t began to do any extractions with it, but I’d wager it would work decently. The only thing is since it’s free, we get their heads which is MEK. I’d imagine the meoh would pull more of the waxes and chlorophyll. Has anyone played with using heads for extraction?

1 Like

Why’s that?

Color is pretty nice?

It doesn’t pull as much bs. However, it doesn’t pull as many noids either.

1 Like

As long as it doesn’t have any-too much water in it it should work fine.

Could also look into butane, he’s got a very simple rig, but we’ve got no dry ice anywhere close… So not sure if any worthwhile product could be pulled at -5 to -10c.

1 Like

Great color, great potency/effeciency. Cleans up pretty damn easy if you put it in LITTLE effort…

1 Like

Yeah hoping I can do a -20c quick dip, AC and T5 then Louche to pentane to get a real nice terpy product.

Then dry that bud, grind it up, then distillate/cherry oil the second round.

1 Like

When last I was extracting in that range, I was winterizing in ethanol post extraction.

Made a world of difference from a patient standpoint (huffing less lipids), also made achieving “shatter” easier imo.

1 Like

I was always told isolate had greater affinity for the garbage too but I never used any of it

I think I remember @beaker saying he used iso once but if I remember right was for distillate only

The water in it can be issues

U could overcome the water by pouring liquid iso through a column baked 3a beads ad have an anhydrous iso

2 Likes

Should you QWIT?
Or should you QWET?
Or is QWISO your best bet?

It’s what you’ve got,
It does the trick.
Just get it cold & use it quick!

—————

See also Iso vs ethonal

9 Likes

Louche? I am not familiar with this term, to the search bar I go!

3 Likes

@woodwardbdb See Absinthe;

if you’re not a loucher you’re doing it all wrong… :shushing_face:

5 Likes