Short Path Head designs

Speaking of short path head designs, what is the purpose of Lab Society’s (@LabSociety) double vacuum adapters? I see the Chemglass photo you included has that as well. Is there any advantage to drawing two points of vacuum? What about the angle of the vacuum adapter? Chemglass has it pointed up while Lab Society has theirs pointed half up and half down. From experience I had the worst time using a single vacuum adapter by the condenser like shown in the chemglass photo because the end of the first fraction would always get sucked into it and clog the vacuum hose path. I quickly switched to the Summit setup of monocow receiver paired with a head/condenser that had only one vacuum adapter and found it worked significantly better. I do not have experience in using multiple vacuum adapters.

Gold Leaf (@goldleaf_scientific) does not have vacuum adapters their short path heads. What is your reason for this?

Does anyone have experience running both single and multiple vacuum adapters?

2 Likes

the Auxiliry adapter is meant to be a vapor path for just the volitles, when you hit your main body you change the vapor path to the clean takeoff side. It is meant to provide a less stinky pathway for the main body. The location of the adapter is important, as you don’t want any condenste in the hoses driping back into your recieving flask.

4 Likes

Hey there! Sorry for the delayed reply on this, didn’t see it until now.

One can be for reading vacuum and the other one can be attached to a pump, or any other combination you can imagine.

So it’s not just drawing vacuum from two points. We tried to offer the most flexibility and possibilities for analytics and data-logging.

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.

3 Likes

You are distilling terps right off of HT sauce? Sounds cool!

I thought vigreux and packing was all to increase surface area, i.e. nucleation sites…obviously like anything, you can get to a point of diminishing returns.

Yeah there’s definitely a balancing point. You need a good amount of space between everything so you can pull vacuum. I find the largest raschig rings work good but if you use smaller ones, or beads it will tend to hold it back and it floods. Flooding is a big issue because the cannabinoids are so viscous.

1 Like

Cool thread I’m going to have to read through this thing @Beaker as always your insight is much appreciated.

I have plenty of questions they pertain to SPD head design like what are the pros and cons of each angle of take off from the column to the condenser ie 60 degrees vs 75 degrees

I’m specifically looking for a 5l head where I can swap 2 a 2 L + 1 L boiling flask for smaller amounts. Eventually in a few months I will probably invest it a nice system but for now it’s all cheap China until I learn my distillation wings. I’ve seen maybe five different Chinese head designs thus far. I’ll post some pictures of the different designs could anyone heare help me expound upon the virtues and deficiencies of the different designs?

1 Like

Also would like input as to people’s opinions on the cup style collector on some of these heads?

1 Like

You mean the crap trap? Iv’e never understood that feture, Id rather have some reflux rate in my still!

3 Likes

Like this design? I guess Gold Leaf has a similar one, but I had no idea what they were talking about until I saw this one from LS because of where the slivering ends.

2 Likes

Yes I figured this much as well. Maybe it’s great for high throughput low separation for a first pass on bulk material? Anyways probably overkill with less separation that a small time basement caregiver would need.

1 Like

Get a wide diameter packable head, taller heads tend to give better seporation.

3 Likes

2 sets of vigreux reflux indentions
80MM tall (height) smooth interior column above vigreux for dropping in 19mm x 70mm structured packing or rashig rings
34/45 Main Lower Inner Joint
24/40 Top Upper Outer Joint
29/42 Condenser Drip Tip Joint
GL-18 Hose Barb Condenser Connections x 2 (3/8" I.D.)

I really like vacuum Dynamics head with a little less vig and slightly taller column it could be packable and even fit the 19x70 mm structured packing

1 Like