Share your terrifing/dangerous* storys of cannabis alchemy ventures

No cold trap?

1 Like

Back in college I was open blasting and had purged my tray for about 2 hours on the hot plate. I lived in Marquette and it was like -20 outside so I took it inside to finish on the stovetop. I stepped away to take a dab or whatever dumb shit I was doing and came back to 3-4 foot flames shooting off the tray.

As I scrambled to find a fire extinguisher my roommate, as cool as a cucumber, walked to the kitchen, grabbed a towel, got it wet and tossed it over the tray and managing to save the wax :joy:

Only managed to slightly burn the cabinet doors right above the oven. Talk about lucky! Granted there couldn’t have been much solvent left to burn but still a ridiculously stupid mistake

10 Likes

Lmfao, no. They had no idea. I had them take a cigarette break outside the facility, our front.

2 Likes

:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

2 Likes

Cultivation, not extraction, but I once was cutting a hose through which a nutrient solution was flowing, and I managed to catch a fan cord in the pair of clipper blades and shock the bejeezus out of myself. This was not long after the movie ‘the 6th sense’ came out, so I was wondering if maybe I was dead and didnt know it. Cell phones were also fairly new at the time, and I was somehow convinced that dead people would not be able to operate one. I called a buddy of mine in a panic. “Can you hear me? Can you hear my words?” Luckily he could. If the phone had fvcked up, I would have thought I was dead for sure.

16 Likes

Damn Imma have problems keeping up with all the sauce that has been layed around here…

I was sitting in the back of a seeder( 1980 becker for corn sowings) checking for clogs and halting seeding if neede. and we went for a couple km on rows when a loose rotating element on the seeder took my pants and I was like wtf is grabbing my leg…

Started screaming to stooop, and tore my pants out of the grip… And the guy stopped after 3-4 seconds cause he couldnt hear…

So a close one had a nasty bruise cause of the squeeze for days…:))and a heart rate of 250 for a couple of minutes :slight_smile:
alswell that endswell

5 Likes

Start your own thread, spammer

3 Likes

Lab I was working at had a 20L Apeks CO2. We couldn’t get our hands on the right type of air gas tanks in the beginning, the AG tanks had dip tubes and we couldn’t recover our co2. Well, after dozens of runs and just allowing the co2 to depressurize in the room (it had a huge roll up door), we just left and let it do its thing. Well eventually installed piping to let the co2 off gas outside, so we could stay in the room. Well, the people who installed the piping didn’t tell anyone they removed all the bolts connecting it to the wall, but left all the bolts connecting it to the machine. When set to depressurize, because it wasn’t secured to the wall the metal piping turned into a WHIP, smacking against the machine, the wall, the machine, the wall for about 5 minutes until all the co2 had left. Scared the shit out of everyone. The contractor was yelled at for quite awhile. There are very strict procedures in place on what you do when a machine is being worked on and how you tag it, none of that was used here.

6 Likes

Ah, this thread takes me back to my first extraction, and taking the bottom HP clamp off of the base of a pressurized column. I didn’t die, but I did launch the column about 7 feet into the air while simultaneously managing to coat my entire front porch in spent biomass.
Not as bad as cracking the shatter platter clamp with slight pressure still in the collection, but as about as funny… I needed a new pair of sweatpants, and as far as I know there’s still hash sprayed along the exterior wall of my old place!

8 Likes

I once used an immersion coil inside a chillers expansion tank. The chiller was circulating PG/water mixture. The immersion coil didn’t have a dial so it just went full blast the whole time.

Decided to pick the immersion coil up to see if it was doing anything and somehow a fucking fireball shot out of the expansion vessel straight towards a full-ass closed loop.

Saw my life flash before my eyes.

9 Likes

Dude acetone is the worst

I was cleaning a flask once and maybe had 50mls of acetone left after pouring it all out

I think I poured some disty in there and I ended up hear gunning the neck of the flask to get the disty off

That acetone caught fire when the heat gun was on the neck or the flask

A huge flame shot out of the top of the flask, it burned some of my hair on my arms but nothing exploded or anything

3 Likes

a vessel so pressurized by adding dry ice internally that the 70/30 mix turned into a slick blue flame immediately as the valve was opened.

gasket failure on a superheated column of etoh causing an immense flash boil of ~20L to come rocketing out the clamp gap and help clean the lab walls.

actuated a dirty old 2inch ball valve that had been stored for years and had it release the trapped liquid butane and shatter shrapnel. never look into valves as you turn them.

16 Likes

Those 2 inch valves lmao

4 Likes

It’s crazy how fast that stuff can spontaneously combust. Back when I worked for a log cabin restoration company we were using it to clean brushes or something (I don’t remember what exactly) and the boss put the rags in a bucket in the back of the truck. They then lit on fire as we were driving down the highway! Luckily there wasn’t much else back there but still crazy nonetheless

4 Likes

Hardly spontaneous

Acetone is sketch

3 Likes

Ahh the potato launcher effect… bloopppppp!

Fortunately mine did not ignite, just superheated and boiled explosively.

3 Likes

Solvent drenched rags are like the oldest known fire-starter in the book.

14 Likes

I was 17 and my boss was a dumbass, so you can’t expect much less!

1 Like

Oh it’s a very common oversight for people of all experience levels. I think it’s one of those things that should get mentioned more around here.

12 Likes

I can’t think of a single instance where I extracted without taking safety precautions. And so I’ve never personally had any crazy dangerous stuff happen while extracting. Though 1 time I opened a pint jar and had the contents explode out the top all over fucking everything.

Why so safe you ask? Well I’ll tell you, because as a kid I was constantly ducking with stuff like propellant and model rocket engines. So when I was probably about 7 or 8 I was use powered model rocket engine to make fuzes for these piles of flash powder and I exploded about half the fuel from an A cell motor right in my face. Or the time I learned about fuel air mixtures by putting several gallons of gas into a winter bonfire to started it. Took us some minutes to get torches ready, I lit my torch and held it low, just above the snow. That’s when I hear Billy yell look out, I look down to see myself surrounded by blue flames dancing on the snow, it was so beautiful and terrifying at the same time. I started running away from the bonfire when I heard the WHHOOOOOSH and then the pig exploded, knocking down on my face and singed my clothing pretty good. If that had been contained by any back pressure it would have been catastrophic.

6 Likes