Setting up passive system

@Unicorn_Theory1
After this pic was taken I switched to a smaller barrel and have been covering it lately (if I have the extra dry ice). It works fine either way. I will take a pic next run.

Use the coil.

2 Likes

Whats the benefit of the side valve right there?

I think technically you wouldn’t want it that way, don’t hard right angles increase turbulence in a flow? Sounds like it rips anyway according to how well it works for @Hansel, but my understanding is right angles like that aren’t recommended.

I know in hvac you want to keep the number of bends to a minimum due to pressure loss. Can’t remember the formula off hand.

BUT, aren’t people saying that mol sieves aren’t as effective in passive systems due to the lack of turbulence? I’ve seen that mentioned before, maybe you do want some right angles just prior to the mol sieve?

Edit : not answering for pupparoo, just chiming in with my crude understanding of things. Plus sometimes you have to have right angles anyway. My setup has some, I’ve tried to keep them to a minimum though.

The benifit is he has an extra port to use for recovery now instead of just a guage

1 Like

I never heard of that. How would passive or active affect a mol sieve? If the gas passing through has moisture it pulls it. I ran a sieve passive and most people do

1 Like

I only have seen it mentioned here, I use a mol sieve in passive too.

1 Like

Can someone smarter than me confirm if this is an issue or not?

I just know the basics and may be incorrect.

Me too curious about that statement…

1 Like

Molsieves work passive to
You can confirm for your self by weighing them before and after
That turbulence stuff might have some ground but I haven t seen it

3 Likes

I have and I agree but it seems like waxplug has found something better?

Mol sieve on a passive system.

7 Likes

Oh I use a sieve too on my little passively cls, not saying I believe or don’t believe that, just have seen the turbulence thing mentioned a couple of times.

And if turbulence (or lack of, in this scenario) is an issue, would a elbow help with that?

1 Like

@Dred_pirate
Why is the mol sieve jacketed

I heat mine to the same temp as my pot (68f) to help it from freezing. It works better ime…

8 Likes

To help it from freezing?

It’s being used on recovery, so how would it get cold enough to freeze

2 Likes

I’ve noticed my sieve gets pretty cold too, it’s due to gas expansion. I think? pV = nRT?

5 Likes

I’m not recovering nearly fast enough. My heat just isn’t there. I’m upgrading to a 40gallon hot water tank here soon. Maybe then this will become an issue for me

2 Likes

it’s just always been something I’ve done. I’ve run without and this works better. I think GW taught me to. I use a wrap on a 4”x12” dryer with 13x, I run 4”x24”. When I upgrade I’ll just loop my pot fluid thru my jacket. Any maybe a powder column or two…

4 Likes

I wrap hot rags around it, or just dunk my tiny one in hot water. Either way, it does speed things up a little bit.

2 Likes