Seperating THC from our CBD distillate

Here is the patent where this “tek” is described further, theres some other relevant patents, just follow the rabbit from here and dont loose ya head

4 Likes

Would you precipitate out all of the other Cannabinoids with this process? Such as CBD-A?

1 Like

I always look at it as, if I can think it up someone else can.

1 Like

No absolutely not. It was sent to me in an email from someone who claimed not to know where it came from several years ago during a time @shadownaught LS and I were experimenting with DES. I don’t know who it was that sent it and it did not have any other attached info on who it was from or what not to do with it, ie if there was IP secrecy here and I unintentionally violated that, I apologise and will pull the post fwiw

3 Likes

Dicyclohexylamine is great for complexing carboxylic acids, including THCa and CBDa. The hop industry has used it to make hop acid standards since the 90s. The great thing about it is that it tends to increase the chemical stability of the acid it is complexed with. I have kept DCHA-CBDa in a 50C oven for 20 weeks without any decarboxylation or degradation. What I am getting at is that DCHA salts make fantastic HPLC standards.

4 Likes

Ya but this is a direct copy and paste of the SOP that was shared with me, the wording is peculiar in places, words I definitely wouldnt use

1 Like

I posted this in the original LLE thread

Why is he sad to see it here?

1 Like

Unsure, it’s been floating around here for a while now…

3 Likes

we have done very similar but with an additional pentane recrystallization with decent results.

not a very good separation method if you’re looking to save the terps, but spot on for purity from very dirty starting materials.

if you see heavy losses with this method you’re not filtering cold enough.

4 Likes

I have done the technique in that patent with Dicyclohexylamine a lot. It pulls great, but going to distillate, compared to the standard way, the yield is just not even close.

1 Like

DABCO, works well as a complexing agent. I am new here, but not to the industry. I am enjoying all the sharing of tech here, and I am guessing that I will be able to contribute working processes and procedures when and where relevant or helpful. If I am stepping on somebody’s proprietary work, please let me know for prompt removal. Thank you! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Please explain dabco
It s an unknown term or process to me
Thx
Welcome by the way :+1:

1 Like

DABCO is an anime that can be potentially used to salt out THCa

8 Likes

This is where I am confused. You say its great for complexing carboxylic acids including CBD-A. So I’m just missing how this is actually separating THC-A from CBD-A? Also, I thought it was a salt, not a complex. Which if it was a salt, maybe the precipitate of either THC-A or CBD-A might drop out at different pH’s. I’m just trying to wrap my head around this and figure out the best possible way for remediation.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion. I didn’t mean to suggest it would work for remediation. I just like using DCHA to make HPLC standards and wanted to mention it for anybody who is interested in making their own.

Don’t bother pulling it. In the chemistry world as you undoubtably know this is like high school stuff for salt washing botanical substances. The idea in the cannabis world that this is some non chemists newly discovered tech or rather tek is hilarious. In the pharmaceutical realm this method could be communicated with one word ie the name of the intermediate salt. Everything else is cookie cutter.

3 Likes

deepening vacuum beyond a certain point on the spinning band will actually hurt your separation of such similar compounds by effectively reducing the differences in their boiling points - it effectively will reduce the theoretical plates in the “distillation tower” in this way. To illustrate, at 760 torr (ambient) lets say the boiling point of CBD and THC differs by lets say 10C, at 10^-2 torr it may differ by 5 C, at 10^-4 torr it may differ by only 0.5 C. The deeper vacuum reduces the difference in the two boiling points of the two compounds, which is the driving force of separation via distillation. Also, BR will tell you this themselves but its a fairly intuitive observation if you kind of flesh it out based on the logarithmic way that that vacuum reduces boiling point. That is to say, to increase the difference in boiling point between two compounds you would seek to distill at a worse vacuum - but the problem with going that direction is that youll need to distill quite hot and risk degradation.

5 Likes