Scaled Hemp Production: Hydrocarbon vs Ethanol

With a blue sky budget would you extract with…

• Hydrocarbon and filter (CRC)
  • Ethanol then distill
  • Ethanol then LLE to hydrocarbon and filter

0 voters

Questions

1.) Is it cheaper and faster to run a semi automated revolver style CLS with propane or a mix, through a filter stack, yielding a clean “CRC” type extract, worth more than typical distillate due to terp preservation?

1.1) Even to get from isolate from this point would be simple decarb due to purity, no?

Thoughts

Currently cold ethanol extract typically needs to be decarbed and distilled to yield a value hemp product, often unstable distillate. Cost to chill and heat this ethanol is a huge factor. Plus, isolate is a whole new solvent process.

If you already have an established ethanol extraction, it might make sense to extract the cannabinoids from the ethanol with a hydrocarbon to then perform the filtration to finish. Another question, can you extract CBD from ethanol with cold propane?

3 Likes

Sounds like you’ve been taking notes from my ramblings

I’ve been talking to some folks in my town who just got licensed for propane hemp extraction. They have a capacity of ~100 pounds per day. Although it won’t be the largest scale facility with that throughput, I’m excited to see the cool novel shit they’ll be making. There’s just some things that are only practical/possible to do with LPG extraction, and the head extractor there is a hell of an innovator who is way more interested in R&D than mass production.

Cold ethanol to distillation looks to be the route we’ll be starting with just because it’s easiest, fastest, and cheapest to get started from a regulatory standpoint. But ethanol, LLE, hydrocarbon and filter will be the goal after we get the ball rolling.

@murphymurri brought it up with me this morning, I hadn’t actually thought or heard of it prior

I’m no longer convinced that cold ethanol to any end hemp product is the easiest, fastest, cheapest.

That’s the point I’m trying to clarify.

Hydrocarbon with CRC seems like less energy and less quipment, although it will require a C1D1 environment which can be a significant up front cost

11 Likes

If I were really trying to scale up I would replace warm bho extraction in this tek I wrote with warm methanol extraction and do winterizing at about -10 c or so. The problem with butane crc in bulk is the amount of solvent needed to dissolve large amounts. I still prefer butane however.

3 Likes

we are working on an industrial solution.
hydrocarbon is far superior to alcohol.
more output product options.
a cleaner extract and a quicker process from extract to end texture.

9 Likes

In the long run it’s certainly not, which is why I’ve been putting so much R&D time into the room temp ethanol followed by LLE and hydrocarbon filtration route. But to convert a restaurant into an extraction facility in 2 months, it looks to be the simplest method to get licensed and operating quickly given our own current circumstances.

2 Likes

Ideally I’d like to do heptane extraction followed by methanol winterization, LLE, and hydrocarbon filtration. But meeting NFPA 36 requirements looks to be quite an expensive endeavor.

1 Like

If I were to go production I’d get a wash column made with a stacked filter & inline setup. Molecular seive whole 9 cls. Run a specific set of filtration layering +clay & ac. Run a blend mix with it. Then hydrocarbon seperation & distillation.

1 Like

With a system like @Dabatronicus is promoting( Infinite CBD) there is no question. The only real question or hurdle is keeping enough biomass on deck. From what I gather with a 3.5m investment in a Turnkey 2000/ three stage wiper producing 1,500 L a day is a no brainer.

3 Likes

The units have inline filtration have can be easily modified to hold sieves and clays

They can also extract with Hexane/Heptane for similar results to gas, but falling film heater and cooling must me changed to match.

1 Like

It’s been getting fire marshals to allow gas at the scale of hemp extraction. I love butane and propane extracts, you can pull almost pure CBDA right off the plant. However, the scales required have scared to jurisdictions we’ve dealt with.

At one point, we were partnered with a group set on building 2500lb a shift units. One has yet to be approved by any locality in 3 years

4 Likes

This is the problem with Solvents as the local firemarshal sets the “on-site” limits. Beside convincing the firemarshal to let you have over 500 #'s of volatile solvent on-site you have to get airgas to supply you.

4 Likes

I think liquid alkanes are likely the future of cannabis extractions at scale.

6 Likes

That was my argument as well. The counter argument was that the net efficiency, reduced equipment costs and footprint, and shorter post process of a gaseous hydrocarbon vs ethanol, offset the throughput of a single system.

Something like the Rotax https://deutscheprocess.com/rotax-extraction-2/
From @deutscheprocess starts making sense. That setup seems eliminates the need for massive amounts of hydrocarbon on site

2 Likes

@Future

Warm extract in pentane

Membrane 1 will winterize and remove colored pigments

Membrane 2 will remove 90% of the pentane leaving you with a super saturated product ready for crashing

You could even do a CRC before the solvent seperation membrane to lower the PH to crystallize faster

This will allow you to make pure CBD A isolate and keep the terpenes

OR

You can purge the rest of the pentane without crystallization and do a full spectrum pentane extract with all your cannabis terpenes

Me and @Krative are working on this.

9 Likes

Using a centrifuge?

1 Like

Ok, found it. For pentane, you can store 30 gallons and closed system use is another 30 gallons.

Storage can be increased 100% with a sprinkler system and another 100% if storage cabinets, exhausted room, etc are used.

Use in a closed system can be increased 100% with use in an active exhaust system.

Storage limits Pentane (IA flammable liquid) per control area:
Base: 30gallons(113.5L)
Max: 120gallons (454L)

Use in Closed System per control area
Base: 30gallons(113.5L)
Max: 60 gallons(227L)
—-
Storage limits Alcohol(1B and 1C flammable liquid)
Base: 120gallons(454L)
Max: 480gallons(1817L)

Use in Closed System
Base: 120gallons(454L)
Max: 240gallons(908.5L)

Source: International Fire Codes

PartV—Hazardous Materials

CHAPTER50
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS—GENERAL PROVISIONS

2 Likes

The problem with the @DeutscheProcess decanter style drying screw is the extended solvent residency time and large surface to chill. If left unchilled, the selectively of whichever solvent is greatly reduced.

Centrifuges allow for controllable batch timing by quickly and gently removing solvent when needed.

Edit: Their system actually heats the drying screw, which will lead to liquid separated being over-extracted. The solvent they remove as vapor is a cool idea but will then leave cannabinoids on your biomass due to the solvent being vaporized off instead of mechanically separated as a liquid solution containing the remaining cannabinoids like a centrifuge

1 Like