Sambo creek VS beaker and wrench filtration

So im trying to decide whether i get 2-3 beaker and wrench jacketed pressurized filter sets or to get the large sambo creek filter trolley which is around 12k.

Has anyone used both and have an opinion?

Neither. Get something like this: Post Ethanol Extraction Filtration - #25 by cannabuilder

4 Likes

custom built? looks kind of like a head ache to use, no?

looking at it again i kind of like it, but not sure if id be able to run it since its custom made.

It’s not custom. All three of those housings are just bought online. The only “custom” was hooking 3 up in a row.

Who makes it?

Filter Housing

here is one type.

I don’t know who made the exact ones he used, but the ones I used were from Rosedale.

Both companies charge ridiculous prices on their products. You can just make a few cartridge filters with a spool and some polyester filter bags.

2 Likes

I’d get the sambo if you have the money, I have the beaker and wrench filter and its garbage I wish I never bought it. The plates are so clogged I cant get them to filter more then 5 gallons before cleaning. I’ve tried every kind of solvent to clean the plates too and have all 4 of the different microns. The sambo is easy to clean and the have filter papers you can just dispose of. Beaker and wrench says there filter is NOT for winterizing

1 Like

I don’t have the brand, they are re-branded by a local filtration company I used. They’re #2 filter bag housings w/ sanitary (tri-calmp) fittings. The 3rd housing is a 30" code 7 cartridge sanitary filter housing. Cheap filter bags are somewhere between 65-80% efficient in filtering to their micron rating. They take out the bulk of what you’re filtering. The cartridge filter is 99% efficient so that’s a final cleanup stage. I get through about 75-100 gal on the bag filters .I could probably push the second stage longer but they’re cheap and it’s easier just to have the techs change them together. The cartridge lasts for about 500-600 gallons. 25um → 1um → 1um. All three housings together cost less than one decent lenticular housing, and filter change costs are about 90% less than lenticular cartridges.

2 Likes

nope bag filter housing - Google Shopping

note: polyester felt shrinks in cold ethanol. so that nominal 20um is probably more like 10um at -40C

You haven’t stated what you’re using them for.
A centrifuge will also work well for filtration.
If you happen to have one of those for other reasons…

1 Like

Winterization and carbon filtration mainly

I didn’t even think about shrinkage…

1 Like

I have the 800 mm sambo creek filter if anybody is interested

every lab I’ve been in that has a sambo it’s in the corner collecting dust. I’ve never used one. just my two cents.

Got one in the corner. It gets used every day…looking to solve that.

Just need customs to loose their grip on my new toys…

2 Likes

I use to work for a 24/7 disty factory in Adelanto, CA used a Sambo with no problems. I think we used three 10 micron screens plus silica. The sambo worked just fine, it was the pump that kept fucking up. The pump would freeze and we would have to slow it down or completely stop. Like I said 24/7 so the wear and tear is crazy on the pump, we fixed it 2 before we replaced it. So Sambo is great just make sure you have a good pump!

1 Like

I have a couple of these SC’s too. Just starting to use them. What micron filter paper do you recommend?

You might find this post useful.

Most labs still use a 3 step process using either 45 or 25-micron paper, followed by 10 microns, then 3 or 1.5 microns.