Sambo creek my complaints

How are y’all using your sambos?

The bullshits are only rated to like -40C

So when we want to use our -80C freezers to properly winterize we have to literally pull the shit out and let it warm up.

I called the manufacturer and bitched her out for an hour.

Her comments were oh ya people do -40 over a 40 micron THEN RE WINTERIZE IT A SECOND TIME AT -40 AND DO A SECONDARY SMALLER FILTRARION SIZE.

are you joking me? So you made something that has to be winterized twice? And it can’t handle the temperatures that we winterize at even tho it was made specifically for our industry?

What a joke. Just gonna run this bitch till it breaks I guess? Like it works great if your doing warm filtrations or lower temp stuff. But god damn sambo watchu doing with your life. She’s like oh ya no filtration is fully done at -40C… ya if I Wana have it sit for like 3 days. Trying to do a fulllll overnight winterization and you defeat the purpose of a -80 freezers.

Ight rant over. Anyone else using straight up -60 to -70C solution in their sambo? Should I be scared? Like we will make it work. Just mad obnoxious that they designed it this way and it’s as popular as it is

Yep, i figured thats why i never got one. Its an expensive air powered bel art and the bel arts crack figured the sambo would also. I only use stainless for less than -40

1 Like

I mean if hasn’t cracked yet. It begins to have a slow leak at around or just above it’s threshold

Use a centrifuge.

@Roguelab is using a panda.

I think there are better options.

Pretty sure @Lincoln20XX got one for me to play with…it does 20k G if I recall correctly.

I used an RC1 when I was winterizing 5lb BHO runs. 12k G. Pellet and decant.

4 Likes

-40 is probably the rating on the diaphragms in the pump.
pulling vac on your filter with a frozen diaphragm is a poor idea performance wise.

3 Likes

I do a room temp filter then -40 on my sambo. Tbh after nearly a year and a half using them I’m ready for something new that can go lower and is pressure driven rather pneumatic or vacuum.
It’s worked for me though, room temp filters are crazy fast. My -40 filter can freeze up sometimes.
I hate the draindroyd though. Batched filtration is crazy annoying.

3 Likes

More worried about the plastic cracking then it slowing down. But the pump definitely is only rated to -40. Same with beaker and wrenches Pump for their filtration set up

2 Likes

Two, actually. Both 19k+ G

1 Like

Aro pumps and steel cartridge filters/column filters work well.

1 Like

Is 7k G enough to pellet fats? Looking into the eppendorf 4 x 1L benchtop centrifuge. Can only do about 7k rcf witht the swing bucket rotor.

I don’t know. Someone else might.

absolutely. it’s just a matter of time…you might not be able to simply pour off the supe. at 10 min, but it should definitely get the job done by 30. if it’s not refrigerated, 30 min at top speed is not ideal for winterization, but my GUESS would be that 10min at 7k G in a swinging bucket will get you pretty damn close. it will work GREAT for something like YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude once you decide that 4L at a time is insufficient for your winterization needs and you should have purchased a 25kg version of this thing

The Sambo Trolley does not crack. Different plastic and different thickness so no worries.

Hey, thanks for your comment. Sorry you are having problems with your trolley.
I asked around the office and didn’t find whom you “bitched out” for an hour. :roll_eyes:

Your filter will not crack due to temperature unless you do something extremely careless like dropping it out of a plane, so don’t worry.

Labs run different SOP’s, many of them filter and winterize 2-3 times. The filter trolley is for filtration. Winterization is a separate process. Buchners big or small don’t winterize (freeze) your solution thus the filter trolley is not designed to winterize, period. It is designed to filter. The diaphragm pump on these filters is not designed to operate at -70F, no diaphragm pump, to my knowledge, is. Some pumps operate at -70, we have a -20C pump that does but is not rated for those temps. We do have pumps rated -40F.

Furthermore, many labs winterize at -86 or whatever for whatever time necessary. As I explained, you need not filter at -86. Fats will not immediately dissolve. But we are not here to dictate your SOP, only to support our equipment within recommended operating conditions.

I have tried to be as helpful as possible and answered all your questions. We pride ourselves on having awesome customer service. Please call or reach out and we would be more than happy to help you further. There is a reason there are hundreds of trolleys in the market. Though they are not the best solution in every application, they are a fantastic tool when used correctly.

2 Likes

Question for you. Is your name referring to sambo creek Honduras?

I own a home right next to Villa Helens.

Look forward to your response

4 Likes

Yes. I am from Sambo, and is why the name of the company. Hellens is Next to the Canadien Hotel. Helen is a friend. I’d love to be by the beach right now, having some fried fish looking out at Cayos. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

We own the first 10,000 square foot house on the road. 2 houses down from Helen’s.

Got my scuba diving license on Cayos Cochinos.

Were you friendly with Jack?

We are very good friends with Helen as well. Small world.

3 Likes