Rotovap Terpene Extraction

its seems like you would need a ridiculous pump to be able to let that much gas in and still maintain that high level of vacuum

Maybe cycling the vac/ purge would be another way to accomplish this without having to run a massive vac pump, condenser/ trap, chiller. Heating nitrogen in a jacketed spool seems like it would be easy enough.

yea but the flow of inert gas is largely responsible for “dragging” along aerosolized components thats why you can distill compound lower then their boiling point cause more about evaporation then vaporization. in a sense its not even a distillation its more analogous to a fan blowing over warm solvent. your idea still could work but ud have to design around it. Ive been looking into ultrasonic foggers to see if something similar to ur idea could work but i dont know yet

sure. bit a the old utrasonic…

I was thinking about it as distillation until you mentioned how hard one would have to suck to make it work at even lower temps. even after reading to the contrary.

Passing warm gas through an ultrasonically produced fog would seem to have some of the surface area advantages of bubbling gas through, but I have to admit I don’t have enough physics to know if voporizing into a gas bubble is anything like vaporizing out of a liquid nano-sphere.

Like the CO2 sweep gas molecular sublimation distillation. What kind of ungodly pump/traps are needed for that!

check out this crazy patent, vacuum inert gas stripping of cannabinoids with a mechanical agitation.
HotGasVacuumEP_1385595_B1.pdf (797.2 KB)

Cyclo,

Hows that list coming along? Any luck with rounding up all those rascally terps?

List keeps getting longer…rather than shorter…but there seems to be $$ for toys on the horizon. So we’ll see.

1 Like

Just a little nugget of info: if you’re working on terpene extraction methods, definitely aim for “dry” vs. steam distillation. Aside from product quality and the extra step of drying the material prior to cannabinoid extraction, we’ve had issues with extraction. When we’ve extracted using cold ethanol on previously steamed flower, we get immense amounts of both water and non-water soluble gums in our crude. Even after washing and degumming we’ll get gum buildup in our WFS.

3 Likes

So I usually rotovap between 17to 20C, but it takes a long time. The goal is the preserve terpenes. Most of the time the recovered ethanol has little to no smell, thus the majority of the terpenes are still in the oleoresin ethanol tincture. Am I actually preserving terpenes or are the terpenes going to come off no matter what? Would i be better off rotovapping at 30C and making the process go faster? Meaning less time on the rotovap also preserves terpenes? Thoughts? My end goal is higher terpene concentrates.

Are you filtering your crude with something like T5 to grab onto water solubles prior to distillation?

No, but we’re talking way more than minor amounts that affect color. It was 8-10 saline washes and stuff still coming out.