Rotovap solvent recovery time?

Did you ever switch from tap to a chiller?

Can you elaborate determining viscosity from saturation level or point me in the right direction?

Still waiting for my repair guy to finish it up.

550.00 fix
Recharge, and add a charge port.

1 Like

You know how many extractions have gone in, for one, so you have an idea of how thick it is- and you can physically see the way the bubbles form and behave under various vacuum depths and pressure changes- in the beginning when there isnā€™t much oil itā€™s much lighter so the system needs to be colder and be tweaked and watched more but this doesnā€™t last that long- Iā€™ve found that starting with the oil leftover in the flask from the last batch really helps get it started faster, you need it to be thick and form heavier bubbles.

after ramping up and getting the thing balanced the neck area of the evap flask should be quite cold to the touch even in a 70c bath while the far side will be hot.

Dry Ice and Super Saline ( a shit ton of Morton Salt) Water in a 5Gal bucket with a Fishtank Pump is what I use.

Because I final filter thru dewaxing columns decided to add an adapter on my bases recovery port, closed off the top of the base and allowed vacuum to build in the pot and I just poured up my mix into the rotovaps feed tube.

1 Like

Recirculating heater/chiller is now fixed. Well see if it can keep up with the rotovap needs.

600.00 fix.

1 Like

You running dual condenser dual collection and at least a 1 hp chiller?

they should be used with nitrogen thats why they have a barb for gas injection to the controller atmospheric pressure is a lot slower to use go through the buchi vacuum controller the pressure from the nitrogen is key for fast regulation most labs nitrogen is standard instead of allowing air for oxidation

This is the stuff dreams are made of. Iā€™m struggling to get my 50L dual condenser roto to do better than 10L per hour. Diaphragm pump is sucking in vapors and all sorts of problems.

Get yourself a cold trap- vac level will be varying a lot when youā€™re sucking in solvent, leading to bumping and inconsistent evap.

The trick is CONSISTENT evaporation, the reason youā€™re only getting 10L/hr is because itā€™s wobbling up to 15 and then down to 5 and all in between- when you see the solvent flashing thatā€™s a sign that you need to make adjustmentsā€¦ slowing down the rotation as the oleo mix becomes thicker is also important- you need to give that stuff time to move up through the thick lol and leave, otherwise youā€™re just spinning solvent bubbles around in a centrifuge and failing to allow them to escape the mix

4 Likes

Iā€™m getting 6gl hr. -27 inhg. Using well water and rerouting exit water to drip system.

Welch Diaphragm, AI 50L.

I also might roto slightly different than others. I feed 3 gallons at a time, roto flask spins 55rpm. Thing cries like the time @Kingofthekush420 watched ā€œThe Notebookā€.

2 Likes

Does the cold trap go between the roto and the pump? Any pics are much appreciated cause Iā€™m, well, Iā€™m learning is what weā€™ll call it.

Put the cold trap in between the pump and the evaporator to catch any solvent thatā€™s fails to condense on your primary coils

2 Likes

Ok, cool, thanks! Any recommendations for a cold trap for a 50L, dual condenser?

A coil as with a tube ID matching the size of the vacuum lines and a drain to on the bottom most section that collects to a carbon immersed in dry ice. Immerse the coil in dry ice as well

2 Likes