Rotovap Question

That is true. A lot of people are afraid to turn up the rotation and temps on the roto vap. I personally don’t turn up the temp to the max until about the end of my run. I would sometimes see a little bit of yellow in the collection vessel when I set my temps at max when the majority of material was alcohol. But as it thickens I raise the temp to the max for about 3 hours so that it decarbs. If my material bubbles up like a muffin when I pour it into the distillation pot flask I put it back into the roto until it no longer bubbles up. Otherwise full decarboxylation isn’t achieved and complications will occur down the line in distillation.

What kind of complications occur during distillation if full decarboxylation isn’t reached?

A lot.

https://future4200.com/search?context=topic&context_id=9731&q=Decarb%20before%20distillate&skip_context=true

3 Likes

Can gunk up your distilling apparatus (rfe, wfe, spd), can fuck up clarity, can mess up residence time and burn your product. Are the main 3 people talk about.

Put it this way when you’re making disty you’re purifying an already refined oil.

1 Like

How you is keep vacuum low if also making CO2?

Vac not low?

Temps go high.

Degrading your final product.

It’s not just decarb.
Done under vac, you’re also “ devolitalizing”.

Read grasshopper.

3 Likes

Thank you for this link, great rabbit hole to fall down. Tbh a little disheartening as it seems many are down on spd for the same headaches that occur that we deal with in our lab!

1 Like

Thank you for the new term, devolatizing. Perhaps this is what I’m trying to achieve as opposed to just decarb in general.

Much more reading to be done! Thank you for the direction.

1 Like

There’s a picture of a wiper that’s all gunked up floating on the site somewhere. It basically embodies what happens when you go in with improper parameters on your starting material and wiper.

I hope the knowledge you obtain from this site becomes the equivalent of a tension headache relief medication. :octopus:

1 Like

:joy::joy: This guy. Lmfao

2 Likes

Idk about you but half of the posts on here give me a raging five alarm migraine

1 Like

I haven’t surpassed two alarm.

Thats because your head is 2/5ths the size of a normal persons head.

Everyone has a certain intellectual capacity, Octo… you seem to have reached yours.

I always try to ride the apex of the boiling flask. Bring the speed up high to create a thin band (thick layer) and then slowly bring down the speed until the oil is just riding the apex of the boiling flask (should create a dry circle at the tip about the size of a dime).

This ensures that I am utilizing the most surface area possible and creating the “thinnest” film achievable thus creating a rapid and stable recovery.

1 Like

I feel like I have a bigger head than a normal head. Maybe I just haven’t learned as much as you yet and I don’t take things so personal on here…

… Though… I felt personally attacked :octopus: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There’s still a lot of room for me to learn more. I don’t know much, I know that. I keep putting off learning which is the worst thing I can do for myself but hey man :octopus: take a tension headache relief pill from the dollar tree, smoke an overwhelmingly big dab and take a nap man.
You deserve a good nap :octopus: you sound tired.

1 Like

Don’t take me seriously, i just like to roast the people i like

2 Likes