Rotovap Joint Sealing

It’s 10000000% because I have too much weight in the ball… but I’m down to my last bit on this batch and I just wanted to finsh it all at the same time :weary:

Oooh ya my oil bath is quite full, lik she could take more… another 5-8 gals or so I’m sure but then she’s be damn near hitting the brim (that being said I was told that 60% full was more than enough, if this is false I’ll gladly add the appropriate amount. Fucking fluid just cost an arm and a leg :joy:

2 Likes

It’s just a bouyancy thing. If you have more liquid in the bath it’ll support more weight in the ball. You could try adding some random stuff to the bath to displace some of the liquid and raise the level without having to add any more oil

2 Likes

Yeah but I’ve got it jacked up to 100C right now to make up for the lack of vac so the evap keeps up, so mostly anything other than the oil will either evap (water) or melt (ping pong balls/beads)

And I suspect water oil mix would be make a violent mess

1 Like

I’d recommend chunks of something that won’t melt at 100C then. Maybe your bin of loose tri clamp parts? Just remember you won’t be able to get them back out until you’re done distilling lol

3 Likes

Actually you make a good point I see where you’re going, durrrr I’m slow sometimes :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Your first reaction which was that pouring water into your hot oil isn’t a good idea was definitely correct lol

3 Likes

Decided to hook up the sogevac and let it take care of the vac issue :joy: she rippin though :tipping_hand_man:t2:

1 Like

is it gonna be hungover after sucking in all that liquor?

(is the leak bad enough to qualify for “fuel air mixture”?)

1 Like

Haha you can definitely smell it on her breath :poop::face_vomiting:

It turns out it was from some waxes that didn’t get filtered out on a polishing run and made their way in between the glass during a a little bump (im assuming) - someone hasn’t been following the SOPs🤦🏻‍♂️… and I’m gunna find out who

1 Like