Roto Vap Pressure

like @greenbuggy mentioned, asperators reach a point of diminishing returns at a certain size. water heating up will reduce the draw of the unit.
you would better served with a oil less piston or scroll design.

1 Like

Agree with previous 2 posters. However I have seen these work well in several labs, but with several considerations.

First, 3 times now Iā€™ve seen these pumps ship with the wrong voltage plug. Make sure that the pump is actually a 110v pump and doesnā€™t just have a 110v plug.

Second, the colder the water the better the pump works.

2 Likes

thank you for all that. I will try again tomorrow.
Is there anything wrong with me using a rough pump for the required pressure?
Other than the money spent on this water circulating vacuum pump?

Thats what I assume the Edwards Mechanical Pump is, so I think I can answer my own question with that. Thanks again.

Just make sure that youā€™re doing something about the vapors that may make it past your condensing coils on the roto (like a cold trap), and keeping up with oil changes - the vapors will dilute the oil in the crankcase of a roughing pump and if you run with solvent-diluted oil for long enough it can wreck bearings and cause other damage to your pump internals

Not to mention completely alter the performance of the pump. A cold trap will improve the performance of most vac pumps in this situation, including the one you are currently using

2 Likes

I still wonder how to get the most out of that SHB Series Water Circulating Vacuum Pump. I tried cooling the water down with ice but that did nothing. Also tried different hose connections. Still dont know how I can get it to create better pressure.
But I used the rough pump for an hour and that definitely worked.
As you say, I will have to use it cautiously or create an additional cold trap for it so as not to create future problems for that equipment.
So I am on to taking the extraction into the Short Path Distillation process.
Quite a humbling learning experience.

1 Like

there is a sweet spot fot the water fill level in those, make sure all your tubeing connection is tight, make sure the pump is wired for the correct voltage like @Future said. You need some some sort of cold trap and ā€œcalibrated leakā€ if your going to use a high vaccum pump containing oil. If you dont already have ventalation you will want it, specifically for vaccum pump exhausts.

1 Like