Room Temperature Winterization and Solvent Removal

Bootleg it

1 Like

Noah,
If you would like a licensed facility to put your equipment in to prove to the cannabis community it works email me or DM danny@caliherba.com I’m in California

4 Likes

Amazing. This is serious advancement,provided it works as described.

@Noah

Are there any operators using your filters in our industry that are willing to discuss their experiences with them ?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Noah,

For individuals processing large amounts of biomass that may not be neem oil/horticultural oil contaminate free, will the presence of those oils pose an issue and lead to fouling of the membranes?

1 Like

I have certainly run into some issues with them.

I need to nail down exactly which membranes we have on site, and quantify how they’re performing, but as of right now I’m not convinced.

1. a significant amount of THCA is being retained with the waxes, I can’t actually quantify that this week, as I just dropped my GC off in Vegas for repair (primary reason I was at MjBizcon). So our goal of EtOH shatter will need rethinking.

2. seems the membranes are “set it & forget it”…by which I mean they become “set” to whichever solvent they are initially conditioned with. I my case that means the initial R&D done with methanol has hamstrung me. flow rates with ethanol are a mere fraction of what they were with methanol… and that looks to be a non-recoverable error. so once again: Ethanol shatter? forget it! &$^(&)#@

not my lab. not my membranes. not me who used methanol for the exploratory work.

still my problem…

Has anyone else run into these issues and solved them?

3 Likes

@MagisterChemist

Any idea about this?

1 Like

I’ve been talking about it with them. Evonik only could give a “maybe” to whether you can recondition a membrane for new solvents, and their install SOP says to condition it for whatever solvent you’re going to use without any provisions for changing it. And right now the answer is looking like “no” or at least “takes much longer than our attempts”. Another membrane vendor told me theirs could be reconditioned no problem, but i haven’t tested it. There really need to be tests on membranes besides evoniks. Trying to get that done!

1 Like

I was talking with ecosce for like an hour at bizzcon and he was explaining how membranes work by polarity

If this is true then a membrane that works great in methanol might not work very well in ethanol as the polarities are very different, right?

Just a wild guess

1 Like

it starts as the same membrane.

ours was “conditioned” in MeOH, and now “set” such as it doesn’t work with EtOH.

Had it been EtOH it saw first, it would (apparently) not work well with MeOH.

Is this solvable?

Perhaps with a different membrane…

3 Likes

Won t rinsing with osmo water work ?

4 Likes

But finally, anyway you should evaporate the residual ethanol, right?

Wanted to update the community on our progress delivering industrial Nanofiltration. Here is a video of our equipment running in California.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8XoYl7h7Zg/

3 Likes

Who is ready to ditch their chillers, falling films, and huge power bills?

3 Likes

I would like to check how it works… Do you have COAs of initial extract, permeate, and retentate?

@Noah @DrMindBender: Are you able to address either of the issues I saw with your membranes?

(See up thread)

The description here needs additional detail for me to evaluate the membrane application. Here are some things I record and report. Membrane Vendor, Model#, Base solvent permeate rate, Rejection Ratios of the API’s, Rejection Ratio of the Wax/Lipids, Solvent System used. Generally everyone knows that Evonik makes membranes and there is an assumption that we are just reselling their modules. I have tested many global vendors and spec membranes with different polymeric makeup. I will be presenting at ACS 2020 in San Francisco in August and will write a white paper describing the work we have done to develop this field for Cannabis and Hemp processing. In general you are correct that Polyimide/Silicone has much higher base permeation rate with Methanol but the rejection ratoio are not the same as with Ethanol.

3 Likes

@Lincoln20XX may be able to respond to those questions.

pretty sure they were evonik membranes, but it wasn’t my rodeo.

I was just there to keep the panda busy so it didn’t bite anyone :wink:

2 Likes

We have a lab setup to check nanofiltration permeate and retentate. We are looking for optimal conditions for dewaxing and desolvatization, so far we could not find a combination of membrane-solvent to compete with classical dewaxing and evaporation.

2 Likes

You should use our Ecosce 3000x Winterization membrane. Less than 20% cannabinoid rejection ratios and flow rates that are in excess of 275 L per 8040 module at low pressure.

1 Like