Rising film for decarb?

We’re definitely going to be sucking on it. Not sure how hard or how fast but definitely at least enough to pull out the O2/CO2.

Different vac zones isn’t an issue, and is already on the roadmap.

Terp strip is definitely downstream of decarb - each bit of steel gets it’s own job so they don’t get jealous of each other and throw hissy fits.

1 Like

I’m way late to the party, but I’d just like to point out that this could be a good idea from the standpoint of the gas-evolving reaction, @1234user. Although cannabis resin does not have the thermal expansion or viscosity characteristics that would normally work well in a rising film, it seems to me that anything to make the dreaded muffin work for thermal conductivity (by helping to create the thin film, in this case) rather than against it (large central volume of expanding/cooling gas with not much added surface area, in the case of a blob), is a major win. It may not even require a pump for the film, except to feed the rising film with fresh resin.

The key to residence time with decarboxylation is not being exactly short, @cyclopath, but specific & limited, most definitely. I think this may be easier to accomplish in a rising film than a wiped film, simply because the film only rises as gas is being actively evolved… as long as we tune it to let that non-reacting/non-rising resin exit the heated area, that’s the best possible scenario: i.e. heat exactly until you no longer need it heated! Perhaps an in-flow at the bottom timed to allow the film to rise by foam to a set height, where an upper off-take allows the resin that is completely decarboxylated (the stuff that has been rising the longest) to exit? :nerd_face:
Then maybe have it run (through a gear/lobe/peristaltic pump to separate chamber pressures) across a wiped film evaporator stage for devolatilization, @tweedledew !

Pressure swingin’ multi-effect @Lincoln20XX :rofl:

On the other hand, WFE has several problems with bubbling frothing liquid… unless perhaps it has rollers that also incorporate the Archimedes Screw design of most wipers, and it runs in reverse, possibly with the evaporator body tilted at a non-standard angle (like 70°, instead of 90° or 180°). That’s already too many permanently built-in variables to very rapidly prototype one by one, but maybe someone already tried something similar and it’s just depreciating in his or her garage. :thinking:

And I agree with @CollectiveObjective that FFE (alone) is no way to decarb… we know how fast bubbles get sucked through straws! @Kingofthekush420 :grimacing:

3 Likes