ReXing THCa in pentane

You were right. Irresponsible of me. My apologies.

3 Likes

This is a bad SOP and you should never be using a heat gun around any solvent. Why would you post that?

19 Likes

Please reread this and ask yourself if this sentence is in my “SOP” is this something I should share with the public or even so myself? A heat gun should NEVER be used anywhere near a jar full of pressurized solvent. It’s extremely poor advice to share, if you can’t do it safely you shouldn’t be doing it at all.

By the way, Did you know hexane has a lower LEL than pentane butane and propane? Which means it needs less volume to ignite.

8 Likes

Heat guns should only be used on products that have been purged properly. Never use with wet oil that’s rich in solvents. Just last week I was “manicuring” some shatter slabs with heat gun, an extractor I had just met got all scared cause he seen a video of a couple guys blowing up while heating up some slabs with a heat gun, we’ll the huge difference was my slabs were purged and the guys on the video were hitting some fresh poured slabs with heat gun so they lost their lives according to homeboy with the story. I’m not a rookie so I know when to use and when not to. Be safe y’all!

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of hexane off gassing either. Rather pentane and heptane

7 Likes

heat gun on a slab coming out of the oven is not at all unreasonable.

the issue was THOSE clowns were using in on a slab RIGHT NEXT to their running CLS. Video is posted here.

certainly dumber than going at a jar of pentane/hexane with a heat gun, but not by a whole lot imo.

I guess I’d rather have folks sans clue be more cautious than less cautious, but I’d prefer they just stay the hell away from the entire process.

3 Likes

According to his story that’s not the video, I actually told him if it was that video your linking to the one. He claims it’s a video that was shown to him by the people who worked/owned in said facility(which was traditional) said dudes were heating up some fresh slabs right in front Of vac ovens when suddenly “BOOM”!!

2 Likes

that’ll do it…

chances are any number of other ignition sources would have eventually have caught up with them.

Ovens need to be vented appropriately.
as does the room they’re in.

especially given the way folks are using them these days.

2 Likes

I tried uploading a video I recorded doing the “heat gun manicure slab tek” to show y’all but it’s too big of a file
Edit: cut the video time down, this is a slab that was purged for 72hrs in a licensed type 7 with proper ventilation(kids don’t try this at home)

2 Likes

These ovens were only allowed to be used because the AHJ/FM was told they were for removing “trace amounts of solvent” - a process relic from years past.

There are way too many ovens and vac pumps in operation that are seeing many #s of butane pass through them daily. I know of at least 6 walls of expensive blue boxes that get shoved full of fresh pyrex pans containing #s of butane every 24hrs.
A 1:1 ratio of solvent:oil is far from "trace"and this isnt a new practice either.

Its obnoxious how long its taken (just one) oven company to make a “safer” oven. Even still could be made safer with a simple interlock.

4 Likes

Just manifold your vacuum pump output and vent it outside… using solvent apropriate materials ofc

1 Like

Hey community, I’m going for my first pentane rex (have done heptane already) and am struggling to dissolve my jar, my original ratio was 1:1.1 THCA to pentane (100 g: 110 g) and sat in heated oven agitating hourly the whole day with little to no dissolving, starting at 88 and going up to 97. The next day I chilled the jar and added another 50 g pentane so my ratio is now 1:1.6, its been sitting in heat for 4 hours and still hasn’t dissolved much, any advice would be greatly appreciated :raised_hands:

1 Like

Place in a cls and heat to 70 C for as long as needed to dissolve :grin:

if the machines were ever not in use I would haha

2 Likes

Instead of adding to the pentane, I would have evaporated off a little bit (and weighed everything so you’d know how much evaporated) as 1:1 is slightly too much, but if ya evaporate too much solvent it will grow small rocks or sand

1 Like

Show pictures please.

I was just going off SOPs from dred pirate and others that have the tek dialed, i have left it alone all day today.

4 Likes

You can keep agitating till it’s fully dissolved, it will actually speed up the process. When I dissolve I purposely go 50-100g heavy pentane just to aid in the dissolving process and then evaporate down to proper ratio. But keep making like a swirling effect in jar it will help dissolve quicker, it’ll take a while, sometimes more than a day, but the more you can agitate the quicker it will dissolve.
And don’t be afraid to bump it right up to 95-97 degrees Fahrenheit that will help dissolve as well. Don’t worry about pressure as pentane doesn’t create near the pressure butane does so you won’t have any buckled lids to worry about or blowing a lid.

5 Likes

Why I asked for pictures was trying to better understand the issue. Those are decent sized stones to try and dissolve. Definitely constant agitation. Didn’t realize you’re trying Rex a bunch of tiny stones.

I’d have tried to pulverize that or save those for growing.

5 Likes

Heat and turbidity will dissolve those crystals, I would suggest using a triclamp vessel to dissolve in and then dispense into jars once you’ve got a saturated solution.

Like @Roguelab 70c ought to get those crystals dissolved, but I’d steer away from doing that in jars for the obvious hazard of overpressurizing the jar.

2 Likes