Restrictions on dry ice soon?

when I asked the dry ice guy he was telling me it will sublimate nomatter what, the whole -86 freezer is nutso from my end because nobody gives a f, its weed and if it gets you high and tastes great thats that.

It does sublimate regardless, but at a MUCH slower rate. I’d bet an 80lb cooler lasts well over a month if left alone in a -86 freezer vs. maybe 2 days if left out in normal atmosphere.

I always need dry ice available, so that would be 3 coolers a week minimum, vs 1 or two a month. Doesn’t take too long at a $1 a pound for that freezer to pay for it’s self just for storing dry ice, not to mention using it for winterization.

3 Likes

Soooo true. Im a 3 cooler a weeker. It last 6 days in a cooler set to 0

2 Likes

And no more of a need for leftover ice to crash out jars.

2 Likes

My tane is COLDER than dry ice🤪

1 Like

I did drop this one although it’s not quite DIY, it’ll run down to about -60

I have still been thinking about turning some split units into a cascade system but haven’t done much work on it. I’m getting tentative approval to start designing a system using two large (50+ ton) screw chillers to make massive cryo system so that would be cool

1 Like

wtf. this sounds brutal…do you custom delays and issues in china will last into holidays? seems like double slow as all the holiday shit too

i see it only getting worse as the covid numbers nation wide seem to be spiking again. We are in holiday season but most of that shipping is done are being moved threw customs… Chinese New Year is right around the corner for sea freight shipments and those large orders need about 6 weeks of manufacturing… So we are ordering right now for Jan-Mar.

This looks like March/April 2020 as covid just started and chinese New year was just ending…Customs and shipping was delayed about 6-8 weeks then… Im planning and forcasting the same deal over the next 2-3 months.

1 Like

Here’s the deal…

I was worried too when I heard the news break. I went straight to my manufacturer (Coastal Welding Supply) and they kind of laughed. Raised they’re eyebrows a bit, as if they caught my signs of worriment as a possible up charge lol

I’m out of Houston. Energy capital of the world. And gas cap too. The Linde Gas plant and Air Gas, TPC and Air Products gas plants are so large… f*ck, the capacity of them damn plants are unreal. I think the regulations on greenhouse gas would come to affect more so than supply my friends.

Btw, them plants are just a few of multiple dozens out of Southeast Houston and Port Arthur…and across America.

I laugh now when I hear Barnes Welding in Sac say they are low and raising prices. EVERYTHING IN CALIFORNIA GONNA COST YA

2 Likes

I was a dumbass and had to get nitrogen at the same time as the dry ice. I pressure tested in water and then tried using the nitrogen exiting to blow the water out of the valve ends but mustve missed a drop or two/ I have a dog blow dryer i shouldve used.

Making my immersion chiller even more worth it, assuming this all true. I still pay .60 a pound as of Thursday for less than a tote so we’ll see if it changes. They have added a 10$ surcharge ways back when he first said there was gonna be a shortage

1 Like

I got mine for .50 yesterday, less than I remembered from the closest source. But hes a pita. Its an old manand im never comfy with my fishy story for getting the ice. I shouldve said fitting parts. hes always super paranoid that im making a bomb or something.

Say they are for science experiments for school.

I’ve been doing volcano’s. Vinegar and baking soda.

1 Like

I considered that but my toast is burnt unless I claim to be a commercial fisherman. I was gonna say late halloween but he surprised me with the question. hes dirty too, Im sure all his sales are under the radar and its sublimated shit that he sells himself. How can they audit him with a product that just goes away. its one old guy in a empty warehouse I showed up 3 minutes before closing and it wasnt in a refrigerated room just a cooler. Im not upset i think I got more than what I bought due to them expecting sublimation. he didnt weigh it, just had it prepackaged in paper but I can tell it was more than I bought,

Stock market is up today on the news that modernas vaccine is 95% effective and can be stored at normal refrigeration temperature

7 Likes

Dry ice companies :coffin::roller_coaster:

2 Likes

I’d imagine a company like @AdChem which put in a huge co2 tanks and their own dry ice production facilities are gonna be sitting pretty

2 Likes

Theyve been out for months here, there’s a semi lock on the co2 supply and the older local company is pissed there is now competition. They even stock Carbon chemistry now and you know the other guys who should have the norcal region all to them selves.

2 Likes

Thanks @Killa12345 for mentioning us on this topic. We’ve had a huge uptick in dry ice requests from bioscience companies specifically for shipping the vaccine nationwide/internationally. Also, requests from military bases working on vaccine distribution. CO2 this year has already been very difficult to get due to pandemic and fires specifically in CA cause PG&E is forcing power outages in a lot of counties that hold some large CO2 manufacturing plants. Martinez plant is down indefinitely, which was a very long standing manufacturing plant. AdChem is over the hump and has full supply back in stock. Call us if you need dry ice or CO2 in CA, and S OR. The larger companies like Prax are allocating dry ice to their most profitable accounts. Fuck that. AdChem is here to make sure extractors have what they need. You guys are first in line then everyone else. Thank you.

19 Likes

We’ve been getting reports on the east coast about industrial CO2 supply interruptions. Not sure what the deal is, sounds like a few of the big plants are having shutdowns. Could also just be our gas suppliers giving us some BS :man_shrugging:

1 Like