Removing atmosphere before introducing hydrocarbon

Quick connects would also solve this. if you had quick connects on your solvent tank, the top of your column, and the collection pot. More expensive than getting a 4-way. But also more convenient.

You can clear out the hoses by holding the tip of the males quick connect down. then re-attach to the top of your column, and pull vac. disconnect from vac and pop it into solvent tank and go.

They make shit a whole lot easier/faster

3 Likes

You can, but they also wear out and require frequent service.

I will use them if you twist my arm for vacuum and vent, but prefer adding purpose-specific valves with dedicated lines so that no swapping is necessary. I will not use quick disconnects for cold solvent lines.

We all have our preferences :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, yeah I was never getting my solvent super cold. Just overnight in a chest freezer.
And we did have to change out the o-rings in them quite often, you’re right.

Only way I’ve ever done it honestly, so now I wanna try that 4 way :eyes:

1 Like

What would you say about higher quality QC’s on vacuum lines as well as gas lines used to refill?

I agree heavily with purpose specific ports. But I’m curious as to how I could clean up my unit and not have lines connecting from vac pumps and refill bottle on permanently…

Was thinking I could install quick connects on all vac ports and a quick connect on my solvent refil Line? With ball valves in place appropriately for worst case scenario… Since the line will only be connected to add solvent to tank, and not chilled by any means, room temp for that matter I would only assume that there is less likely of a chance for leaks to occur vs. if the solvent was chilled…

Any input on this? Trying to find any conversation about QC’s and wether or not people have used them for this application…

I’m aware of vague discretion of the integrity QC’s have under certain pressures and temps but in terms of short term usage with average n-tane pressures (room temp (shop temp) - 57F/65F, 30-35inHG) one would only think this is feasible…

These are what we use and would use for all other QC applications…

Bought from corlee valve.

If there’s better made versions/ Higher quality QC please let me know.

2 Likes

I don’t like QD’s on anything besides a collection vessel bowl’s water jacket. Especially for vacuum, a quick disconnect will pull ambient air into the system, reducing the system’s vacuum depth potential.

I’d rather connect all the vacuum ports together with a system of hoses; or more preferably, a tubing manifold.

3 Likes