Refractometers to measure quality of cannabis oil?

Has anyone been using a refractometer as an instrument to measure the quality or consistency of their live resin or any other extract? If so, what can you tell me about how the Brix levels correlate to quality in cannabis oil?

2 Likes

Brix meter works on primary ethanol extracts (read: dilute tinctures) and seems to correlate well with hplc potency data once calibrated.

That calibration will probably be process dependent.

No additional data I can share. Other than we were looking at CBD.

5 Likes

Not a refractometer, but interestingly, a polarimeter can be used to differentiate d8 and d9.

7 Likes

Wonder what a polarimeter does when it’s 70% D8 and 30% D9…Or can it tell you that and my joke is for nothing?

3 Likes

If 100% D8 is X degrees rotation and 100% D9 is Y degrees rotation, it would seem plausible that mixtures of the two would effectively give a rotation that should be directly related to their respective concentrations, much like racemic mixtures of opposite enantiomers give no rotation at all since their respective concentrations are 1:1.

7 Likes

So

:shushing_face:

2 Likes

Dead link?

1 Like

Fair enough. I suspect it was a pair of polarized sunglasses…

2 Likes

So which refractometer is everyone using? I’m actually going to be purchasing a benchtop model soon and would be curious to see if there’s any recommendations (regardless of ability to measure cannabinoid potency or differentiate between cannabinoids).

I’m looking for ease of use/cleaning and reliability. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

bumping this because it’s an interesting question, and I’m also wondering if anyone has used a hydrometer to measure the density of a solution? ie, measuring the amount of x-tane in a jar/miner when growing diamonds

3 Likes