Reflux Still For Small-Scale ETOH Reproofing

Do you pull azeo right off the wash or do a stripping run first?

Depends on the price of sugar which fluctuates. Iā€™d say roughly $70-$80 (on the high end) though which includes sugar, yeast and yeast nutrients.

1 Like

I have heard of people using corn syrup instead to try to offset the cost of sugar, but Iā€™m unsure what ratio they use of corn syrup to get an equivalent amount of sugar in their wash as using straight up sugar. Or if theyā€™re even really saving much money.

Yes I do, but you can do a few stripping runs first and run it that way. If you were making it to drink thatā€™d be the way to go but for our purposes it isnā€™t necessary.

1 Like

10 a gallon is much cheaper than 55 a gallon lol I might just go this route instead of buying 190 retail

If you have good column the 10% wash is fine to run to azeotropic without a stripping run. Itā€™ll save you some time and $$ in energy cost. Though its easier to do a strip to rectification run especially when youā€™re first starting out.

1 Like

Until youā€™re buying 1000gal at a time itā€™ll always be cheaper to make it yourself.

Look for any sugar source, malt extract, corn syrup, whateverā€™s cheapest per kcal!

I hear post extraction biomass is cheapā€¦

havenā€™t figured out how to make liquor with it yet.
but I believe weā€™ve got a working assay for our cellulase(s) (glucose production), so weā€™re making progress.

1 Like

Yup! You need to 140c steam + acid treat it to get it to an efficient extraction potential from what it heard? Iā€™m sure you can get less results with lower steam temps.

1 Like

I wonder how annoying the filtration would be

trying to avoid that routeā€¦using a biologists toolkit rather than a chemists.

the only reason we have peak oil is that the white rot fungi figured out how to eat dead trees. selection is a powerful tool. fungi, are supremely adapted to seeking new food sources.

3 Likes

I like where this is going :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Will I get my answers googling hemp cellulose fungi and digging around? Or am I going to need some more expertise digging up this answer? :slight_smile:

Is there any specifics white rot strains?

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna guess that query will simply bring you back here :wink:

Iā€™m terrible with names, once you make them Latin, it gets worse. Paul Stametes has done some work on the subject, but did not seem interested in the hemp aspect when I tried pitching a joint effort on the subject. I was chatting with his nextdoor neighbor yesterday, and it might be an anti-cannabis thing. Dunno.

3 Likes

Psychadeldick envy?

1 Like

Convincing the feds that psilocybes are required to effectively scale cellulosic ethanol would be a major boost to the https://psi-2020.org campaign :slight_smile:

They are in fact a white rot fungus

2 Likes

Hhahaha, just called up my most fungally inclined friend. His thoughts; ā€œI think this kinda thing is only useful on scaleā€¦ But you might as well just use sawdust if youā€™re after cellulose. But if youā€™re gonna put the time in to distill something you might as well just buy some barley or sugar and save yourself the headacheā€

So he thinks itā€™s doable. But thereā€™s no shortage of cheap cellulose.

My fear was youā€™d Max out at 1-2% alcohol in your wash with some super rank smells and compounds going along for the ride.

In which case Iā€™m turning spent hemp into fuel, which still seems like a win.

And there is a shortage of cheap fuelā€¦

1 Like

8 bubble plates might be too high for my basement ceiling lol might need to cut it down to 6 or 7 plates. Also im thinking about going to a 6" column not 4" for speed/throughput. this is for a single wall boiler

would not be getting that infusion pot Gin basket thing attached to the top

3 Likes

If you are looking to produce azeo, a packed column rather than plates is your best bet.

2 Likes

The boozer in me really wants that gin box thatā€™s totally unnecessary for our applicationā€¦ Actually, that entire setup would be a great excuse to make the dreams of 19 year old me finally come true. On the company dime no less! :heart_eyes:

Side note, maybe someone with more experience running a coolant managed system can correct me, but that reflux condenser looks a little short to keep up with that size stillā€¦

1 Like