R134a hemp and cannabis extraction advice and comments

That’s what I was looking to read

1 Like

It’s very much possible it was extracted using hemp that was left in a tote for a year or six. So my experience with these terpenes is limited. But given the solvent‘a affinity for bitter undesirables I’d say it’s probably not just a coincidence.

Wasn’t this the same solvent that they were trying to get random people to push on Instagram as affiliates? Maybe a different brand but a few years ago I saw a lot of hype from people with zero extraction experience trying to hustle it on those really shady Facebook weed groups hat we’ve all stumbled upon. The ones where you go in it once and get swarmed with friend requests from people named “Johnny Kush Pack” for months on end.

4 Likes

Hey Guys… new member here but I can chime in on the R134a extraction as I run a pretty large R134a extractor for hemp extraction. We’re still doing some R&D on our machine but to clear some things up:

1. You do have to have an EPA 608 cert to be able to work on the machine
  2. Running decarbed biomass (hemp flower) GREATLY increases your yield
  3. To preserve terps, you can do a double pass. Run the biomass in the extractor to extract terps, then decarb, and re-extract for cannabinoids. The initial terp runs come out pretty hot, had one as high as 29% so we don’t always go after terps.
  4. We control temp & cycle time. Temp is controlled by oil jackets on the vessels (Pressure and temps are related so running higher temperature gives you a higher pressure extraction)
  5. Our recovery tank is under vacuum to remove most of the solvent in the oil and recovers the solvent to transfer back to the solvent tank (closed loop system)
  6. We do get residual solvents left in our oil but we put it in a rotovap to pull them out.
  7. R134a does not have any ODP but it does have a fairly high GWP so the refrigerant industry is starting to phase it out for HFO which has a 99.7% lower GWP so eventually will we transition to that once it is more widely used and cheaper to find.

We make CBD Tinctures, Softgels, and Pain Creams so we don’t have to worry about the high temps of vaporization though we do try to eliminate as much residual solvent as possible as this can affect formulation percentages if the residuals are in high enough concentrations as the residual solvent will off gas during reheating of the oil to mix into final product.

5 Likes

Do you have an oversight how cannabinoids differ in solubility in relation to pressure, temperature and solvent/mass ratio, especially thc,thca and and cbd?

R 134a has zero carbon footprint and there is no fines for venting it that’s why you can buy it at Walmart!
I am HVAC journeyman Tech state licensed.
I’ve done some research and surprisingly 134a is used as the propellant in asthma inhalers because it it gras certified (idk) epa says it’s safe rad says it’s safe!
Not sure where your getting info?
Very clean and if you purchase lab grade it wouldn’t have the residual

Distill your solvents before you use them!

3 Likes

Tell me about the hvac market in ok? I have 20 years experience and am thinking of moving there to upcharge chads. All of these indoor grows must have created a huge demand. Can you confirm?

2 Likes

Yes there a lot of demand for hvac techs here in ok.
It’s pretty easy to find a job if you want one. That’s for sure. I am not working in hvac I’m growing and extracting. Google in Pryor ok is the place to be working!

2 Likes

Any issues with chlorides from the use of refrigerant? We had issues with chlorides stress corrosion cracking of stainless steel when exposed to heated and pressurized refrigerant.

1 Like

R-134a produces a less than desirable end product. N-butane and a crc is more desirable these days.

Distill it all you want you won’t be getting good extraction properties *for cannabis.

Butane, propane, isobutane, hexane, heptane and ethanol are all GRAS at certain ppm limits.

Groovyocto is right

134a is tough to find outside of the automotive refrigerant aisle. All that stuff is junk because it has lubrication oil in it. I wouldn’t use because nobody knows what “lubricating oil” consists of.

4 Likes

Agree with all

1 Like

I’m still waiting to see one of these machines! For eons I’ve heard tell of these super massive machines with damn near perfect extraction efficiency that makes “fire dabbable products right from the pour spout!”

Still waiting…

1 Like

Are you still looking for access to R134A extraction units?

My name is Jesse Hershberger and I have just started working with Pure5 and would love to see how we could further your research into this technology.

This has been an interesting thread to read for sure.

4 Likes

Hello, what yields do you achieve on your R134a extraction devices? What is the structure of the extract? Its density, color, etc?

1 Like

Hello, what yields do you achieve on your R134a extraction devices? What is the structure of the extract? Its density, color, etc?

Welcome to the future @The_Urban_Cannabist!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Jesse, glad to see you here!

3 Likes
  • Average return is 1 kilogram of extract from 20# of biomass

• Color is very dependent on material in, as well as recipe used(attached image for reference). Each cultivar as well will express itself with a different hue to its extract

• Consistency can go be varied from terpene rich with very low viscocity, CBG that is crumbly once allowed to cool, THCA diamonds. The recipe is key. Our units provide more consistency with that recipe by automating the process, apart from loading and unloading the machine.

Product can be further distilled if wanted.

I personally prefer to add the end product to a joint or vape it in my VOOZ. The high is as distinct as smoking the flower.

I hope this provided some of what you were looking for. If you would like further clarity or depth to any point let me know.

5 Likes

I’ve seen your equipment work first hand and seen the results.

1 Like

What were your thoughts?