Questions about CO2 extraction: yield and cartridges

The gCell full glass cartridges need far lower voltage. Too high and you overwhelm the coil. They aren’t for your style extract.

The QBD cotton free glass cartridges don’t have that problem, but have their own set of problems when using thinner concentrates

3 Likes

Hope Glamics solve all these issues on thick oil

Hey there,
So we run a 20L eden labs CO2 machine. We use trim from our trimming machine. Its usually pretty fine and with kief sometimes. We pull terps first around 1300 ~ 1400 psi and 41~45C extraction vessel temp. Depending on the strain (some like to gush out terpene weight) your our yields are from 0.7% - 2% on trim, 2% - 5% flower. Usually 1 1/2 hours run time, sometimes longer up to 3 hrs if your still pulling terpenes. It should come out like whipped cold liquid that dissolves in room temp into an oil or, if your collection cup is heated, it will come out in oil form.
After that we unload the material and repeat the process. We gather up enough terp extracted runs to then do crude runs. We usually get between 7 - 11% on trim yields and more for flower. Post processing usually takes off around 30% of the weight. 1800psi 32-34C extraction vessel temps. 8-12hrs.
We find adding back 5-7% terps by weight helps with flavor and will definitely loosen up your oil.

5 Likes

I’m still working around with better crude yields so any input on different parameters would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

On average you should be seeing anywhere between 25-30% loss of crude weight. My average for post proceased co2 extract off an apeks 5L is 76%

I fill my 5L vessel with 1000g coffee ground consistency trim or flower.

Terp strip trim or flower

Remove terp stripped biomass and decarb. For decarb everyone and their mom has a sweet spot they have found :joy: i have found that for 1000g 250°F in a vacuum oven for roughly 30 minutes does it. You are really trying to remove water without totally browing your material as this will result in darker extract. So you must linger around the oven with each new batch you are decarbing to ensure accuracy, at that point i let my material cool to handling temps and load.

I do a room temp winterization 10:1 like everyone else here. Then freeze that material and filter again sometimes i have to do this twice depending on material. Buchner funnel and 5micron do the trick. You can always improve this step with diff tools.

Re add terpenes and smoke some dank🙌
Also not decarbing your material could be killing your cannabinoid fraction. On 1000g input no decarb i have seen 60g yield vs decarbed material 160g. Quit playin and decarb foo

6 Likes

How are you removing the biomass after terp strip? Right into the shop vac back to the oven?

We always find ourselves deciding between yields or terps because pulling it out to put right back in is no fun.

1 Like

Look into lower pressures in the supercritical range. Apeks off the shelf parameters are wayyy off.

1 Like

The bubble not rising is due to the distillate being too thick. It might need some more terpenes mixed in to rise naturally. If not a hot car or something above 95 farenheit will make it move slowly. If you are adding terpenes, the terpenes may be getting burned off before they get filled. The most volatile terpenes evaporate at 100 farenhiet. Running the filling gun above 130 farenheit will certainly cause a loss of terpenes. I dont think its the hardware, just the distillate itself being too thick.

1 Like

I have used the shop vac to remove biomass after terp strip in the past and i thought it was hurting my yields. There are a ton of trichomes that will get stuck in the shop vac filter and if you dont bang them off the filter start counting loss of yield. I prefer to set a 5g bucket under extraction vessel and remove the bottom of the vessel and push the material out into my bucket so that i get all my material back.

2 Likes

Into a 5gallon bucket with a “tornado” type of lid, from there it connected to the shop vac. The only downside is the filter in the shopvac will get covered in kief so gotta take that off and beat it like a step child outside which will ruin your life if you have allergies and not wearing a respirator.
I find less crude contamination in our terpenes when we just do straight terp pulls over and over again. Then, we do straight crude once we have built up enough Terp extracted material for straight crude runs for a few days.

3 Likes