Question about Wiped Film performance(what's real and what's hype)

Only first pass you should limit your vac, and only if it gets too deep and you start pulling cannabinoids instead of terpenes. Second pass max vac is best for achieving best seperation. Where are you located?

Wow. Don’t do that!

2 Likes

Located in KY.

Just ordered a valve to control the vacuum depth, will give that a shot as soon as it comes in and see if that helps.

1 Like

If your running a 150 China unit you need a proper feeding pump as gravity fed will never go fast enough. You also need diffusion or turbo for deeper vac. You should never need a bleed valve.

If you’re doing first pass and stripping terpenes you can start to pull cannabinoids if your vac gets too deep, theres a reason root science puts one on there units.

Are you decarbing /deterping before loading the machine? Winterizing will definitely help

It’s all relative as you can adjust other parameters to compensate. If your running the correct vacuum for system, you’ll never need to add air to your system. At the very least, nitrogen should be used over pulling air.

Most SPD units wont seal anywhere close to as good as a wiped film, I understand where you’re coming from but a fraction of a micron of air every so often wont hurt your vac pump.

Decarbing yes, oil is thourougly winterized. We don’t deterp beforehand.

Try decarbing up to 150c on a hot plate, in a reactor under vac or in a roto under vac this will remove alot of the terpenes that mess with your vacuum level. A wiped films speed is dictated by its vacuum

1 Like

The one I set up run at 4kg per hours. They run 8 hours a day, so 32 kg a day.
They got a 0.2 sq meter evaporator area. And their wipe film is a stainless steel model.
What is the size of your wipe film? 5 lbs a day sound like a 4 inch glass unit.
Also, what is your vacuum when you run your distillation?

6" glass column, we keep the vac pretty steady at .02torr, but at that vac the feed is so slow.

Max depth on the system is .007torr or lower, my memory isn’t as sharp on that one.

I think that is a little bit slow for a 6" column. Your vacuum looks really good to me. I am impress that your vacuum can go low to 0.007 torr.
So your potency of CBD/THC will decrease if you feed faster than 5kg per day?
There is one possibility that your pump for the heating bath is not powerful enough. I run into this problem before. The temperature is correct at the monitor, but the pump can not deliver enough hot oil to the main body.

1 Like

I agree with @jimmytian8, I bet your body temp is low, especially with it being a jacketed glass rig. Wrapping it with fiberglass muffler wrap may help. Bump it up in 5deg intervals and see if you improve. I’m also guessing your wiper motor doesn’t have an RPM display. Pick up a non contact laser tachometer ($20 on Amazon) and see what your motor speed looks like.

1 Like

So that would be running RSO thru a wiper?:yum::yum::yum::yum: