Question about heptane regarding 710 spirits ethanol

Hey guys, so I just learned about the 710 blend of ethanol and how it bypasses the federal tax by having a 5% blend of heptane.

So my main question is, is heptane harmful to breathe? I don’t exactly plan on opening the barrel and sniffing the fumes, but you guys know how it gets when you extract.
I’ve heard myths such as, breathing heptane can do anything from put you on a accelerated fast track to every form of cancer, to making you permanently sterile. I don’t know if these are myths or not.

I’ve also heard you can evaporate the heptane by just leaving the 710 mix out in the open.

Would love input on this

You might check out @Photon_noir’s Ethanol Azeotrope’s post.

https://future4200.com/t/ethanol-azeotropes-attn-etoh-cannabis-extractors/15026

4 Likes

Refer to the MSDS for material handling precautions and hazardous health risks!

2 Likes

Treat it as you would ethanol. Make sure you have good ventilation and like you said, don’t go huffing the fumes…

Respect the chemicals and you’ll be safe. Look into a respirator and a fume hood if you want more protection. Also, make sure you get that stuff out of your final product!! Purge, purge, purge.

At least get a half mask when working with it, people used to work in refineries covered in benzene. FDAs Q3C ICH lists it as safe in pharmaceutical labs, I assume ventilated labs. We work with safe hydrocarbons and wear fulls masks with carbon filters anyway.

Oh, and try to predict what will come up when you google activated carbon face mask. Little amusing.

Post deleted