Question about achieving sub 1000 micron level in short path(vacuum hosing)

You could probably avoid that with the proper SOP. Something like pulling full vac before applying heat to keep the bubbles popping before too many form or maybe only kicking on the roots at higher temp… I would have to play around with it and watch the bubbles to dial it in but it should be doable if you’re careful

3 Likes

Tbh I’m running an alcatel 2021i on my 22 liter, I distill between 150 and 200 microns when I’m in main body at over 4000 feet elevation. I’m in the process of upgrading my system and applying my Edward’s diff stak 250 (2140 L a second LOL). With that being said you need to be under 100 microns to turn on your diff pump or the oxygen in the system will burn the super expensive diff pump oil. I’ll be getting an E2M28 or 30(my pump guys says they’re the same pump just ones US the others UK, anyone know if this is true?) To go with my Diff stak. Muffining only really happens to me when I dont decarb or deterp under vacuum, and long as I do that I never have a problem with the muffin. Cfm is more important the high up you are as the air particles are larger so you need more cfm to move the same amount of air since its larger. I’ve found that hardline is the only way to go if you want deep vac, it finely sounds like you have a leak somewhere, my Welch 1402B would pull my 22 liter down to 22 microns dry assembled with no oil in it, your pump should go wayyyy lower then that as it’s a rotary vane. I’d start checking your hoses. Something has to be leaking. I use to distill on my gl18 system at between 300 and 400 microns with my 1402b, you should be able to get there easy with your rotary vane.

1 Like

The muffin i talk about here happend in mains at around 30 mic iT has happend the both times right when the glas gets tinted when splashed
Almost reaching tails

1 Like

Yea I’ve never had that happen

Stir bar sticking up? Was there powder in the flask? I’ve heard of volcanoes happening at the very end of runs with carbon in the flask but never had it happen to me personally.

No powders i personaly think that is a boil surge between THC/CBD. And the later cannabinoids like CBN
Most likely a compound with a compact bubble boil. If Some sort ( guess i just don t know😙)
At the time i wasn t really login my runs
So might have. Been a strain related compound or a pesticide related compound😢 one must remeber that we produce from biomass that is not controled sadly

1 Like

It’s your tubing. Most flexible materials are permeable and to compensate the wall of the tubing needs to be thick. Chemical compatibility is also an issue because generally only natural rubber, fluororubber, or flouoroplastics are safe to use. Terpenes will dissolve PVC and will swell silicone which becomes very permeable.
You’ll also want wider inner diameter tubing because the smaller tubing will restrict your system. A good plan in to retain the size that comes stock on the pump so that would be 25mm in your case. Try to replace all tubing with kf-25 bellow hose

1 Like

Does anyone have any reliable literature on the permeability of hose material at high vacuum?

For starters, youre limited by the vac tubing, no matter what. There are really cheap alternatives to a full summit wide bore setup… as well as your pump system is not Enough.

There are some simple cheap options on my page in the early posts… if you start at the bottom, youll see the progression… not only mine but the industry progression.

For pumps on that, i would add a sogevac from summit… just to do volatiles through heads. Then pull mains on your clean 16…

50 micron in the system for you would require a very very tight system on wide bore with alot of pumps, 2 sogevacs, 2 e30s…
The reason being is as a pump saturates it slows down… so you have to keep changing pumps… its been a long time since ive run a 45/50 20L system, and i wasnt measuring in the system at that time… but 50 micron for me now requires diffusion. It also can only be done on second pass. If youre talking 50 after the trap thats alot easier.

50 micron doesnt mean distilling mains at 170-180… it only means higher refinement from tails and heads… if youre distilling at those temps on a shorty head, its going to be slow. Best case is 215C on first pass, 200C on second pass, it wont look insane in volume but itll be amazing in cart and be high potency,

Lowest ive done is 10^-10 torr at 123C vapor temp… at like 150C bf temp… but it wasnt mych different then other pressures and temps above that…

Its better to hit 2 micron after a single trap on a second pass and just watch the key for color. If you hot condensed correct on the first pass then second pass will only require a single e30

Pull vac first by itself and walk away… come back after an hour, check vac depth, it should be 4 or less. Add dry ice… go… vac depth should remain tbrluvh the run… easiest second pass style.

3 Likes