Pump options for pentane.

I believe I provided a pretty adequate and descriptive answer to this above: conductive PTFE air operated diaphragm pump. It’s about then highest chemical compatibility you’ll find, especially for under $1500. It’s able to be grounded, is C1D1 compatible, and if you wanted to validate a GMP cleaning procedure for it, you probably could. But no one’s ever gonna ask you too, so it’s a moot point.

1 Like

Should have been more clear, we have one of those too. And yeah they seem to be the best option for moving large amounts rather quickly. We need a smaller pump for our crc column though. That’s where our pump issue has come up.

Interesting, this is not a closed loop CRC that isnt attached to your extraction device? You load the column with crude and just need sufficient pressure to push through the column? You might want to look into metering pumps, of the piston driven variety. They can provide high pressures, precise volume flowrates, and an even flow rate (because multiple Pistons reciprocate, the pulsation of flow is dampened).

1 Like

We extract, dewax, then CRC but run different media depending on the starting material and the end product.

1 Like

can’t you just vacuum down the reactor and dispense with the whole pump thing?

1 Like

That’s what I ended up doing in the end; inwas overcomplicating it!

3 Likes

Are you building this “reactor” as a selfcontained cart, or pallet?
The are differences in CLASS1 DIV1 between storage and dispensing
areas. This would be “dispensing”…you have to meet this code.
Depending on the product and whether it is for human consumption,
it may be that USDA may require the process to be contained inside
a suitable building.

No matter what…something akin to a Haskel air drive pump with
Class1Div 1 rating will work. The control system over it is another issue.
they also meet FDA food specs being SS on pump side.
OR:
Take a look at SIXCON milspec 304 SS 900gal fuel resevoirs.
If you have fork lifts they can be stacked to appropriate heigth for
gravity flow. (find an unused one).

1 Like

I am in need of an electric pump to recirculate hexane + CBD solution out of my reactor, through a triclamp spool, and back into the reactor. I have used AODDPs but I do not trust them to run for 12+ hrs without stalling due to dirty air. I have looked online and have found different pumps in varying price ranges. I don’t foresee this application requiring >20psi or >10gpm. Anyone have any suggestions?

I found this one from mcmaster for 730$ but it seems overkill.

I have also considered using a magdrive pump but I’m not sure if that’s a good idea.

2 Likes

got you sorted if you’re looking to measure Pentane flow rates… www.aBHOutit.com.

3 Likes

God damn 5 racks

Small price to pay for accuracy.

1 Like

I see $1500 pumps with $730 replacement impellers…

2 Likes

So Mr. KOTK informed me that the pump that I was looking for is a peristaltic. I am banking on the little bugger I ordered to produce the pressure to get the job done. We shall see. I would love to get your input on suggestions for gear pumps. I have seen videos on YouTube describing their simplicity, and I have also spent 40+hrs (no joke) the past 6 months trying to find something that isn’t greentaxed™️ to hell and back. Do you have any suggestions for a budget minded ( <2k) gear pump that would operate from vac to atm at 1-5L/hr? I have found abs vac rated check valves in 1/4in which should prevent vac leaks, but I don’t know how crucial the tolerances in the pump weighs in to the application. I see 3k psi hydraulic gear pumps all the time but I wonder whether they would work or not.

this methanol pump might do the trick.

4 Likes

A mag drive gear pump or centrifugal is perfect, cheapest option is to buy one that takes a standard motor like a 56C and just swap a rated motor onto it. Plus you can sell the original motor back

Edit: I was looking for a good example on eBay but couldn’t find anything the come up every once in a while for $4-600

3 Likes

That’s slick

Used this metering pump for hexane for a couple years with great success.

Only 200L an hour though.

10 Likes

Whoa! That thing looks badass! Way overkill for what I need, however. May I ask the ticket on that bad daddy?

1 Like

I think they were around 3500.

4 Likes

Here’s a decent option for 57 GPM, hook it up to an atex motor and you’re good to go. A little expensive and probably need to replace a couple o rings, I prefer mag drive pumps because there’s no mechanical seal. As long as you’re running C1D2 though should work just fine. Also note the max rpm is 900 so you’ll likely need a VFD:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334220005901?hash=item4dd110920d:g:HnkAAOSwZwFhknpp

I’d guess about $1800 all told with motor and drive, less if they accept an offer at $750

3 Likes