Properly Filtering Media from Extract

I’ve had really good success testing b80 using only the 3 micron slow quantitative filter paper. I did a few dry runs with no material to make sure that media was not passing. The first time I failed. The second time was a success. I highly suggest doing a dry run with no material before attempting with material. So that you are absolutely sure there isn’t any fine particles making it past. It’s very easy to blow clay into the collection bowl. I had 3 sets of the 3um slow paper in my CRC and only the 3rd didn’t catch anything and that was without blow outs.

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

5 micron with a Celite or DE bed should catch all your carbon or other media’s. If your concerned get a 500 pack of sub micron filters to place over a 20 micron filter plate to see if you catch anything at all. Nothing will make it through the sub micron paper and the larger micron filter plate allows very fast flow. This is the last step in my carbon scrubbing SOP that’s scalable to a very large amount

2 Likes

I have been using the 0.2 um filter for over 100kg the thing. Still flows fast so
Get one on your rig and be safe

4 Likes

Got a link for purchase? @Roguelab

Pall filters

I bought them at an auction
But pall should know
There is also ss version available

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0EEGvkheTr/

this guy is so salty lmao

Let your partially filtered solution settle in a collection tank for 10-30 min at cold temperatures (no heat on collection, no chiller either… butane in liquid form is naturally cold enough. ) you will notice that the solution will go from cloudy to crystal clear. at this point you can do a few different techniques. If you are in a regulated environment, you have to keep your process in the closed loop. In a closed loop, I would siphon the solution with a “dip tube” that almost reaches the bottom, but not quite. maybe 1 inch from tthe bottom is good. Use the dip tube to suck your solution into a clean collection pot. you can even push the solution through a clean filter paper first to be sure nothing comes across.

If you don’t have the equipment for this, and you are not in a regulated place, and IF you have good ventilation, you can vac your tank with a recovery pump or offf gas the collection tank to 0 psi with a large amount of liquid solvent still in solution. Then let your solution settle for 10-30 min and then pour into a large clean measuring cup or jar. I like the 2 Liter pyrex measuring cup bc of the pour spout. Let your solution settle again and then pour into another clean jar/ measuring cup. Repeat these steps until the solution contains no sediment at the bottom

6 Likes

I do this tech
But please realize that a spill of the jar will give a huge evaporation surface
So pay atention :grin:

2 Likes

id like to see a few of the crc guys try my tek @Soxhlet @sonicgardens @Waxplug1 @BG305 @Dred_pirate @Future

4 Likes

Your talking about letting sediments fall out?

1 Like

yes sir

2 Likes

I do this as well, it’s what I’ve always done to increase filtration speeds. I’m a big fan of siphoning the clean portion of the solution and then filtering the lower portion with all the sediments separately.

I believe this is either silica gel or celite that made it thru my filter.

3 Likes

nice! do you actually siphon it or do you attempt a series of pours from jar to jar?

1 Like

I siphon it off very slowly so I can keep the layer at the bottom from contaminating my clean stuff.

1 Like

I completely get we think it’s silica but what if u know it’s clean does same thing…

I guess what I mean at what point is it thcA?

I can produce otss Tek pics(no media used at all) of mine identical to this… Just asking don’t throw rocks. (I’m anal I have I have 6x filters and welded one coming too!! For my crc runs and they do the same)

pic ran w no media dry ice cold( used DI slurry for rapid cold crash)

… But I’m just asking guys I understand some ppl are getting stuff through no doubt and that has to be reran w better filters!

Is there no mass spec test that would pick up silica where someone could just test the stuff?

4 Likes

hey buddy! the difference here is that I do not get my jar cold. That will definitely crash out thca. Also, I have such a large volume of solvent that it is an UNDER-saturated solution.

I dont crash out any thca in this process. If i didnt get my phone stolen id post some pics :frowning:

1 Like

Makes sense now :green_heart::facepunch:

1 Like

Wtf phone stolen ?
Barely recovering and now this ?
Keep ya head up :fist_left:

1 Like

Anybody else try my tek yet?

1 Like