Propane Vs Nitrous. What to use?

Yeah man i get you, what i said about the ethanol/water mix might work for you well. In the old models i’m talking about they had separate filler bottle under the hood for the intercooler.
I will try and find a link for you.

@Dred_pirate this is the best i can find at the moment for you quickly.

I know it says winter prep but this is what i was talking about you putting on yours. Bigger res and methanol/water mix.

1 Like

Put a few handfuls of ice from a drink on your intercooler when its acting up and see if that helps just for fun

2 Likes

Why would the boost need to be turned down? You should be forcing more air in, but with a cold air intake, that is where you might be able to do a quick shot of nitro, or nitromethane for a cleaner burn in the engine (richer octane though) you’d probably need 500mm injectors or dual injection. But if you got a bone stock subie in our are brother, a must is the cold air intake ( I prefer short rams as they will deliver faster imo), slap an auxiliary inter cooler onto your existing(in-line front mount subie has the inter cooler on top though so a hood scoop will be needed if not already on), 1-2 auxiliary cooling fans for both of those inter coolers as well now. Turn boost up to 18-25psi you’ll be recirculating the forced (already cold air from the intake) to the turbo which then cycles the inter cooler, then add another in-line with 5x race cool concentrate added to good 50/50 for turbo cars ( I always run dexos2 enhanced High performance formulas from euro spec coolant & royal purple oil. royals purple 0w20 dexos2 will be a thicker viscosity of to run as well for the hotter temps we deal with you won’t loose as much top end. Than the what I’d assume is either 5w30 or a thinner viscosity from dealership oil changes without providing your own. Your cars knock sensor will adjust to the ratio needed for fuel/oil/air in 1-2 days on its own.

This oil also has a 8k mile life span instead of 3-5k.

Turbskis for the whinnnnnnnnnnmm :metal:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

We need to sesh already damnit, I keep telling T.H.A & Mrs I’ll be down that way soon cause I’ve been talking with him a tons the past few months. If I wasn’t so far away I’d probably be working there tbh.

Also at 90-130mph solid I’ll get 45-50mpg soooooooo :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

The crazy thing for me is this " heat " you speak of.
In Wales the max temp is maybe 30c for 2 days in August. The rest of the time its between 20c / -5c and normally raining.
People fit thermostats to bypass oil coolers in order to get the engine “UP” to temp lololo.

I take it no one liked my methanol/water intercooler spray idea :sob:
( subaru’s intercooler spray idea but as far as im concerned i thought of it first back in school in the 1980’s when i was 7 )

1 Like

I didn’t have a chance to read through all comments just yet, but working on that meow

1 Like

Forced collab “Potent Pirate from Planet Dred”

@Dred_pirate

3 Likes

I’ve been looking for the same of this movie for some time now… Finally!. Treasure planet.

3 Likes

Propane autoignition temperature is 878°F and your exhaust gas temps are probably somewhere around 1200-1500°F. As long as you can keep them from mixing you’ll be fine, the issue will come when you’re stopped for too long and the propane off gas under the hood starts getting picked up by the intake.

I’d figure out a ln2 situation first.

2 Likes

Hope no one flicks a cig out the window as the propane fumes ignite.

3 Likes

Do not mix propane and nitrous oxide. Nitrous is an oxidizer and should not be mixed with a fuel. Even though it may not explode right away It is an explosive blend and the vapors will explode under the right conditions. Don’t do it

Nitrous gets mixes with fuel (gas) inside the combustion chamber.

I used to spray back in the day.

Nitrous is not flammable. Its makes the incoming air super dense/cold.

1 Like

I have a cousin that runs propane through his diesel motor to cool for sled pulls. Definitely feasible in a diesel. Good luck

Nitrous is not flammable - but it is an oxidizer, and a far better one than air or even pure oxygen. It would work - but there have been bad results. Make no mistakes.

1 Like

I’m gunna have to @ a few of you guys.

I wouldn’t be mixing it with the exhaust, I would use its refrigeration abilities to cool the intercooler for a surge in power. And it wouldn’t be a constant flow of propane, it’d be just when I am at heavy throttle.

@Demontrich I’m not going to just have a 100lb tank wide open spraying. Hahaha that would a fuckin sight to see

@GasGuy-QEG I wasn’t planning on mixing them, and definitely not for ignition. I was thinking of using one over the other for cooling.

@Badfishy1 for some reason I think that a lot of people don’t know about this. I would totally do that if I had a little diesel golf or something like that.

@Izambard_K_Brunel would methanol and water be just as affective, yes it would cool it and please my motor a bit. But, I feel at the temperatures I’m having a problem, that it may not be effective enough. But, It’d be worth a try to give it a shot, Literally. And my wrx is '17 wrx. That one is an 04-05 STI they have a few different parts than I do.

@Cheebachiefextracts I would want it turned down because they did a huge performance upgrade, starting on my year. The wrx was always around 220-230hp prior. They gave her some ooomppf and turned her up to bout 270 now. The turbos before were only around 10-15(max) psi. Now I have pushed to almost 23psi. I was “guessing” that if she was dumbed down a bit she wouldn’t be so pissed off trying to create enough power. That was my (un)educated guess at what was going on. But, this is why I wanted to spray the intercooler, so I wouldn’t have to do as many aftermarket engine work.

Lol @Luckycat the ice would melt so fast it wouldn’t even help to get out the driveway. Haha. But I do see guys with ice on their intake before a race all the time

Now I have to try to make a manifold for propane and ln2 (to use seperately).

3 Likes

Im good up to 2005 lol. I have never worked on a anything newer than that.
I’m glad to help and inspire ! :+1:

1 Like

You mean exactly what happens in a piston/ cylinder head to make your crank go around & propel the engine in whichever direction the gears are at the time?

@Dred_pirate

Yeahhhh it’s shitty on the newer models forsure, my 328 gets a bit over 350hp on a base tune no extras (besides debadging the xdrive emblems the leds that owned it prior to us had one stolen off the car when she had it so she removed them all & it a sleeper you wouldn’t expect) :drooling_face::sweat_smile:

If you were gonna be doin shots to the inter coolers I’d start around the nitro-nitro methane I personally feel those two will be the safer option for the gas engine instead of the lower combustion rated Diesel engines. Either way though you’ll need a second injection rail just for this or a aux tank bottle plummet from the trunk/ back seat directly to the intake box/ ram

2 Likes

ive been a ase certified mechanic for over twenty years and have been a subaru/toyota owner since 2001 my question is are you only planning to use nitrous to chill the intercooler or are you going to inject it along with fuel into the intake as commenly refered to a a wet system? i would suggest going to a larger fmic and pairing a larger size turbo but i can get you safely making up to 75 horses extra with a propperly set up dirrect injection system

edit: this was @Indofab writing, if the words are fucked it is his fault! :love_you_gesture: :sunglasses: :+1:

2 Likes

Just to cool the intercooler. And curious if propane would be a decent alternative

1 Like

Hi,
@indofab said liquid co2 or nitrogen would be best. He said “if you ran propane you’d be stinking like an ass going down the road . And that is if the propane dosen’t ignite and give your hood a new style”.

1 Like