Problem with Countertop Water Distillers for making RSO

Howdy,

I’m a home hobbyist making my own RSO oil and found a major problem using these consumer countertop water distillers - They run too hot to recondense the alcohol vapours resulting in a 40% loss of liquid. Here’s a paper I wrote to test and fix the problem. This is geared for the home user, but hopefully will fall in the hands of the distiller manufacturers. Feel free to spread this around, I’d like to see an engineered fix to these units. Any suggestions where I should post this?
Condenser_Issues-v1-01.pdf (2.6 MB)

2 Likes

You need the specific type for alcohol. I used the same ones in the past. H2o version and alcohol version. Use the correct product and no reverse-engineering needed.

4 Likes

Thanks for that heads-up. That denatured alcohol is a mix of ethanol & methanol, the safety data sheet is linked down in the references.

IF your using denatured alcohol and going to ingest it, smoke it I strongly advise against it. I’m 100% against denatured alcohol for any use. Food grade only for safety imo.

8 Likes

Here, take a look at this. I addressed this in another forum here, and wrote a paper showing lab results. It can be safe if you use properly formulated denatured alcohol or methanol.

2020.07-14.Extraction.rev1-00.pdf (3.1 MB)

Lol u need a vac oven to make it safe to smoke…

2 Likes

I hear you. Do you know of, or have any papers/studies showing residual solvents that remain after that heat applied? I’d love to read anything available.

It’s called years and years of doing extractions.

Oh, and searching yourself.

1 Like

He could decarb to 130 c and get a clean product, provided that his denatured ethanol was distilled of heavy impurities prior to extraction

The water one has a small hole at the very start of the condenser, and runs hotter.

I use my alcohol one for water sometimes, and it take forever.

I went from h2o distiller, to alcohol distiller, to rotovap. Level up!

1 Like

I moved to rotovap too. Pretty sure the distiller is a fire hazard.

4 Likes

It is. I just deleted 400 pics from my phone. All my tricks I used for the distiller went in the trash bin. So I cant post what I did.

1 Like

Not a bad write up.
Wrong tool for the job.
Turning the heat down is the correct solution.

Discussed here: Ethanol recovery with Megahome Countertop Water Distiller

3 Likes

The reason I’m trying to solve this problem is for a Facebook group of cancer patients with limited resources. They’re the ones using cheap consumer distillers. I bought a used 3 gallon still from a friend as he upgraded. its what I use for creating FECO with a cute setup on the condenser. I have a 5 gallon bucket with a 3-5 watt aquarium pump that feeds the condenser. its enough water to capture enough BTUs so the distillate comes out luke warm. Thus the DIY condenser for the home users. This is my Pandemic lock-down reality workout.

So Blackie, what machine has that hole in the condenser? What machine do you use for the alcohol distillation?

The mega home water distiller has the small hole in the condenser, right at the top. It is 580 watts.

I saw someone with a different brand that also had the small hole in the condenser. They used a rubber band to block the hole.

http://www.megahome.com.tw/en/4-machine.html

That one is 300 watts, and has no hole in the condenser. But they did add a warning to the website some point.

Please note: Please never use distiller to distil high concentrations alcohol or over 50%
isopropyl alcohol in order to avoid malfunction.

I’d keep a fire extinguisher close by when using the distiller for alcohol, and not leave it unattended.

2 Likes

Great to see there’s an actual product geared for distilling alcohol. Do you know anyone that has one? I’d love to see what is recaptured by distilling 1750ml (64oz) of ethanol. Thats kind of vague as a warning, no? What could go wrong? Its a passive system of a tank, heating element and vent. There’s only one silicone seal in the head and thats resistant to alcohol. You know what is most likely the problem? These units dump the alcohol out of the condenser into a filter cup to pass through activated charcoal. That cup is is right under the condenser fan and is subject to evaporation. Up to 40% of the alcohol is evaporated with a 750W unit. Put in 95% everclear and you could have an explosive setup in confined areas with open flame. I’ve yet to hear of one blowing up a building but it could be done. I bet they’re publishing these numbers to keep the airborne alcohol to safe concentrations. The seals are fine with alcohol - Rubber Chemical Resistance Chart, Rubber Compatibility Chart - Mykin Inc

Word of caution - always use these units in well ventilated spaces, preferably outdoors an NOWHERE near open flame.

I for one, dont wanna see anyone blow anything up. This isnt a 7th grade science class. This is real world life.

1 Like