Pray to the diamond Gods for me (& what temp is best?)

To answer your question, I find with most recrystallization processes (unless your going for faceted stones), follow a similar motif. Start with your poor solvent, the less solvent the better, heat it to fully dissolve, let temperature drop naturally with agitation. This can take hours or days. Once it looks like no more crystal growth is occurring you can either decant your mother liquor and end it, or chill it further if there is more remaining. That’s a good blanket way to develop a method.

So what this looks like is dissolve at high heat, let cool on bench, stir plate or ultrasonic bath; this is where the solution will get cloudy because it is seeding. Bring outside to get to 0C and let it go until no more growth happens. Place in freezer to crystallize further.

You can always get fancy with it; temperature pulsing, solvent blends, louching, solvent removal, but start simple and add steps as needed. This should yield some nice looking chunks while not taking too long. Really the slower you go, the better your recrystallization will be (purity-wise)

4 Likes

Yeah I think I’ve got too much pentane at 2:1. Just gonna give it another day or two to see what dropped. Otherwise I’ll probably throw it all in the vacuum oven at mild heat and reduce/recapture. And see if it spits out some more goodies.

People don’t seem to pay extra for the big stones right now. I’ll probably make a few just to show off, but for the most part just need sugar

5 Likes

Id like to talk to you about this skid design.

Just delving into membrane tek (I know, I know… a little late :grin:) and looking at doing something like this.

If ya can, toss me a DM when ya get the time, if ya don’t mind!

5 Likes