Post-Ethanol Extracted Crude to Crystallization - Crystals Without Distillation?

So if you are using generous amounts of solvent then you should vaporize/catch some solvent off to increase the saturation of the ethanol solution and THEN freeze and filter. This is a game changer for me, thanks for all of the help.

2 Likes

Correct. Although it’s typically cheaper to extract colder and skip winterization entirely

5 Likes

You have just stumbled into the #1 mistake we all made lol… (By “we all” I mean etoh extractors).

I find also a good SOP to force lipids to materialize is to recover ALL the etoh, then reintroduce etoh to make 1:1 dilution. Bring this 1:1 suspension to just below the Etoh boiling point, then slowly add super-chilled Etoh until you are at -20°C or colder for the whole mixture or you’ve acheived 10:1 dilution whatever happens first. If the color and texture doesn’t seem to change or there’s a few small lillypads floating around (kind of like fish-flakes), put the container in the freezer and continue to chill past -40°C. If the whole solution turns kind of a murky miso-soup-like texture, let it sit out for 30 mins, then filter through 25 micron - then back into the freezer overnight.

Staging filtration this way will make your life alot easier if you have exceptionally fatty material. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Can I see the patent please?

the link IS posted up thread…

You can find it by scrolling, or practicing your use of the search bar

http://future4200.com/search?q=@munkdooligan+patent

you might want to check out some of the other advanced search features as well

Last day vote @Beaker award

4 Likes