Post Distillate remediation advice

Hey everyone, I got like about 10 liters of dark ass distillate…
Trying to think of ways to make it cleaning. My options are limits as i dont have much variable equipment to run with at the moment and only have ethanol as a solvent. Looking into buying some silca and carbon for filtration overall. Filtration systems is bigger than usual to run with using a summit pig. But might get a little buchner funnel to do some r&d with but that’s till later. Really trying to see what I can do to help out with this…
And also any tips for cleaning burnt from inside of 22l rbf
?

1. If you don’t have any equipment to do hydrocarbon color remediation, try a simple second pass maybe.
  2. https://future4200.com/t/best-way-to-clean-ya-nasty-boiling-flask/
2 Likes

if you plan on diluting that in ethanol to try and clean it, don’t use silica. Carbon will work to an extent.

If you’re allowed to do a hydrocarbon crc, this will be your best bet.

1 Like

Shouldn’t I use the silca to filter the carbon out?
I was planning on using some 5 micron paper use the silca as a bed then mixing about 1% of carbon into solution and running it through filtering system. Having the silca catch the carbon?

@NewLevelProcess nice, thank you. So you’ve had good results using a base bath to get your hunk out? I got a huge 22l I’m going to have to put in work with.

Use celite under the carbon to filter the carbon out. Celite should always be the last thing in the column to prevent all other powders from sneaking by

3 Likes

I used base baths to clean gmp glassware and organometallic reaction glassware. Just give yourself enough volume to work with and check container compatibility. For example, never use polycarbonate totes, bases react with this material Control your base addition to not melt the container, the addition is exothermic and gives off heat. Wear all available PPE and purchase more PPE if you intend to do a base bath. As someone mentioned this melts glass, so no frits. It should remove anything organic.

1 Like

To use celite properly doesnt it have to be dried out at first for while?
I dont think the filtration system I’m using really allows that. Summit pig filter.
Iknow @cannabuilder advice with a sick video using DE for filtering aid but I’m not too sure if I could use it with carbon

@elgallonegro in reference to your Summit Research Pig Filter . Load the pig with 3 micron paper, lock it down. Then mix a cup of carbon in 5 gal of alcohol, in another container mix a cup of DE in 5 gal of alcohol.
Then pump the De in first, then the Carbon into pig, it will creates media layers on your filters. Then run your liquor through it.
It will clean a lot better and last longer without clogging.
I use it mostly for first pass winterizing, by pulling liqour through a bath of acetone and dry ice. -40 c to -60 c.
Good luck. :clinking_glasses:

5 Likes

Thank you! :pray: @GWBlackBird

Would you say it has a better affect in actual crude (1:8) or ethanol solvent(30lbs/15gal) for better method. Also, Ive seen some people filter with warm solvent aswell. Does that make a difference?

Its better in alcohol, crude i use through a 12" pressurized Buchner. The pig pump can’t handle the crude. I use it only for first sediment and first winterizing. i do warm, long soak extraction for certain customers looking for a full spectrum products. It will do a 100 gallons an hour. Do Not run the pump hard, you will Blow through your paper. 90 psi at quarter to half throttle.

2 Likes

I also run 60 lbs biomass to 35 gal. Ultra pure 190. I don’t worry about the temps at this point. Works both ways.

3 Likes

For a second pass, around what parameters do you guys usually run at? @NewLevelProcess
I’m pulling out hair here trying to get this distillate to a lighter color.
Mantle is set at 185c varying 181-186c
Head is set at 177c act 176c (also using a polysci 7L unit for my heat condenser)
I’m not too sure if I’m still pulling heads into my flask.
But I’m trying. Not too sure if my poly scions accurate cause I’ll use my thermo gun and it’s off by like 12 degrees or so, but I’m not too sure if that’s a concern or not.
Also how long does your first pass last? I feel like I’m cooking the crude in there too long. I usually try to run atleast 10L in the 22L flask.
Thank for all the help again my G’s :pray:

2 Likes

Why do people use silica at all? It’s meant for just a filter bed like celite, correct? I’ve used only celite for that purpose and am happy with it.

What’s your vacuum level at? I see a bit of red.

Vaccum levels been under 50 micron the whole time. @ExcaliburExtracts

No, it’s definitely not used as a filter bed. Not ever. Silica is used in color remediation for taking out brighter pigments. Using it as a filter bed will always end up with silica in your material. Celite is used as a filter bed because it’s essentially 0 micron and can keep powders like silica from getting through

2 Likes

Gotcha, haven’t used it aside from magisil pr occasionally. Have had success without it, always use celite as the filter bed.

1 Like

We’re actively talking about it in the indo fabs crc thread

1 Like