Pool Pump for Jacketed Base?

Use the pump @cyclopath linked, that one works well. For the heater part you can use a beerkeg with a hot water heating element, control it with a pid and your rocking.

3 Likes

Thermal overload. The motor only knows it’s hot and shuts down. As previously mentioned, taco makes good pumps for hot water applications

2 Likes

How would I go about doing that?

I’m still fairly new to the jacketed base. I’m only doing runs once or twice a month depending on if I’m doing a diamond run that month… Still though if you can point me in the right direction to help me make this happen I would highly appreciate it.

1 Like

https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp-nps-and-npt-adapters-22mp-g100-200-nps.html. allows you to clamp a domestic hot water heater element to an unmodified beer keg. although they don’t sell the gasket to achieve that.
https://www.brewershardware.com/F1GASSIL.html

all that really gets you is a bomb…

you’ll need more holes in your keg to make it into something useful

if you have to hire it modified you’re probably better off building from iron pipe (stainless works too :wink: )…and you could also build with triclamp.

or find a keggle on craigslist

edit: the bits you posted would get you most of the way there.

1 Like
  1. get a beer keg make sure it is stainless steel
  2. get 2x stainless nipples I like 1/2 npt
  3. get a pid control from ebay, you want one with a type k theromcoulple and a solid state relay.
  4. get a water heater element kit from home depot, make sure it comes with a “bung” that is threaded.
  5. take your keg and remove the dip tube that was used to dispense beer, remove this you wont need it. google the instruction on how to remove it, it is pretty simple.
  6. drill two holes in your keg one near the top on the side and another below it close to the bottom. Drill these holes the same as the outside diameter of your 1/2 npt nipple.
  7. weld the two nipples into the holes.
  8. cut a hole in the side of the keg near the bottom big enough for the water heater element to slip in, and weld the bung to the hole. Then you may install the element by threading it into the bung.
  9. drill and tap a hole near the bottom of the keg to allow the type k thermocouple to be installed.
  10. wire your pid controll to the theromcouple and solid state relay, connect the solid state relay to the water heater element.
  11. attach your hot water pump to the lower nipple on the side of the keg, the top port is the water return.
  12. you may want to make an enclosure for the pid control to make it look purdy.
  13. you should be able to fill it with h20 and plumb it to your jacketed base, I like pex tube for this purpose.
  14. now tune the pid, boom done!
6 Likes

Two different implementations of “tankless water heater” built with 2” iron pipe.

Used the lower one for a couple of years to power butane recovery on a MK III terpenator.

Note PRVs.

5 Likes

https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-keggle-153-gal-58l.html

?

1 Like

Yeah, but getting one for $50-100 off craigslist, makes the build less expensive.

I used a CL keggle with the heater shown up thread.

Circa 2014

The collection pot went in the keg, and the heater was 20feet away.

The ring supporting the 10” collection base in the keg is the door off front loading washer :wink:

7 Likes

This was last run I had to crop the pic into two pics

4 Likes

Less hose.
Possibly larger diameter.
Insulated.

I like the flexibility of blue silicone heater hose, but the black rubber stuff from home despot or kragen’s will work.

5 Likes

I’ve only burned out one pump in 3 years and I leave them on 24/7 , my souis v’s aren’t ever hotter than 120

2 Likes

Awesome! is that 120f or c? my concern is the pump holding up to 70c or 158 f

1 Like

I’ve used plastic aquarium pumps at 80C for SPD. They don’t last long above that temp…or when placed directly next to the heating element.

The pumps designed for circulating hot water (up thread) are a much better solution. If they self primed they would be ideal.

3 Likes

1/2" hosing for the jacket

How much head pressure could this thing handle? And at what kind of flow?

How hot you taking your collection pot jesus lol

I use 500gph fountain pumps for 3 12×12 pots. 1 pump each

2 Likes

I once repurposed an inflatable hot tub heater/pump, got it in craigslist for free and it worked very well for me at the time.

1 Like

oh my…

if you click the link, the specs are right the (*&)($_@#+)($# there. :roll_eyes:

30l/min and 6meters

2 Likes

Yeah but it really doesn’t say anything in detail there

1 Like