Piecing together a small SPD - what do you think?

Gl are the screw on with the hose connections, usually aren’t as good of a vacuum. Full bore, is the same diameter as the pump opening as much as possible throughout the system. Gl connections create bottlenecks and can slow down the pump along with the system.

5 Likes

Please check us out cacejen vacuum for you pump requirements. Www.cacejen.com

6 Likes

I also like this style of mantles. You can get a heated top and run them from a pid. Set it on a reliable stir plate and you have a really good mantle and stir.

My personal 1l I’m working on is done like this

2 Likes

Ha! That is the summit mantle. Summit says they price match on their website, wonder if they’d come down $340 :rofl: I actually have a stirring hot plate in my lab that stopped heating, I could probably borrow it for the weekend to use with that second mantle type. Are most magnetic stir plates strong enough to stir through the mantle thickness?

Is this the adapter that allows you to use bellows from the pump? Do you know what it is called?

Summit calls it the butt plug. But I can’t remember. If you look at the parts list for that setup, it’ll tell you.

And the stir plate totally should. They are pretty strong magnets

Yes, to change the receiver you will have to break vacuum when changing it. Haste is important as oxidation does occur however a cow really offers very little to this at a small scale in comparison to what it takes away. My point is that storing the terpenes in a receiver on a cow might prevent some oxidation but the fact the volitiles are being stored at all inside the vacuum deteacts from it. Even storage inside a cold finger will degrade vacuum because the stuff is always evaporating even if slowly.

I routinely must break vacuum on my rig. So I take advantage of the situation by allowing the pump to gulp down copious amounts of air while I attend to harvesting the coldfinger that my sublimator uses. Flushing the system with fresh air from having to break vacuum has an offsetting benefit insofar as it can restore vacuum a bit by flushing volatiles out of the oil. Plus doing this on the entire vacuum path rather than an internal gas ballast that most vacuum pumps have helps to move along volatiles that are heading down your vacuum hoses and such. After I started doing this on average 60 seconds or so each time I needed to break vacuum my oil changes to restore vacuum were cut in half. So there are almost always more than one facet to consider when making a chouce like this. I have found the oxidation to be inconsequential but I also waste no time when hot extract is exposed.

8 Likes

I started wirh a 700 kit from china wirb an azzota mantle, served me good . Slowly added nicer pieces and then went on to 5l which alot of rhe glass worked for st the tme til i mobes to 34-45 joints. T it have me a perfect a process beforw soending an real money, i use all rocco glass wirh summit heads. Have never used LS ive had bad experiences rhe rhree times i tried to ger stuff from them. You can fnd glas col mantle on ebay for wa cheaper rhan thwy charge. There kits are crazy expensive)mijt be worrht i have never ised rhere stuff) but all there stuff is made by chemglass and inuse alot if Chinese glass feom ebay dechem s rhe seller i believe. I by cbnese when im teinf somerhing new and dont wanna soend alot to find out it didnt work, my worse experience is koints that dont seal withot alot of grease and tape.

1 Like

Only vacuum weak spot on China gear is the boiling flask often the glass is thin and not deep vacuum proof
Try to get a separate coldtrap with full bore connection

1 Like

As much as i wholeheartedly mean every word in that thread, If i had a chance to do it all over. Id probably would have went all wide bore and eliminated all the GL fittings. The reason i went all cheap glass and just about everything cheap is just to say ive distilled cannabis. The whole set up has went un-used since that day. I did move right after that run and really havent got set up in the new place but when i do. Ill probably never use a lot of that stuff i bought. It was really to see if id like to pursue distilling further. I dont even have the material and im thinking of possibly buying a WFE. While a lot of you all are doing this for monetary compensation…this is a hobby for me. Some people spend money on cars and jewelry. I spend money of concentrates and bikes. And yes im a grown adult with a teenager. LOL There like puzzles for me. I like to reverse engineer the process and look for shortcomings. It gives me a sense of accomplishment solving one of these puzzles. Then i try to teach others how to solve them too.

Im probably gonna be going somewhere along the lines of what @Dred_pirate said. Ill probably be upgrading to a custom 1l full bore system. Ill probably talk to @vacuumdynamics first before shopping around. What i did obviously works; you can distill cannabis with chinese glass. There are a number of threads that prove that point easily. I dont think you find a member say “you cant distill with chinese glass”…You will hear a ton of people say i “prefer” American glass and the #1 reason you will hear is SPEED.

Chinese companies still really havent changed the designs of short path heads. All are really basic. Most Companies like USAlabs, AI, OSS, BVV, Just buy chinese heads which can be found on ebay for all under $150. They are all slow and not really “modified” for cannabis. Now this is kinda where American company are different. While the design and application is the same, American companies have modified the heads for cannabinoild…Different Vigs, different lengths, different sizes, etc. None of it is ground breaking or probably even patent-able but they are modified with the short coming of distilling cannabis in mind. This has all translated to Speed with higher potencies.

As you know how i feel about stoners like me “if there is a work smarter not harder way for some cash; sign me up!”

i think all my glassware was under $350. That includes the cold trap which was $68 shipped, a $80 short path head, and $60 3way cow. Im sure if i posted it all on ebay for 1/2 it would sell in an hour. So i got my use out of it and feel if i sold it for $175 id be still making out. A lot of the equipment i can use on a larger system…My 3 pumps, my chiller, tables, filtering aids and tools. Really my loss is the cheap glasswear and cheap $55 mantle. but really i spend more than that daily on stupid shit. its not really a loss for me. It was a teachable learning experience to see if i wanted to pursue distilling cannabis before going to classes or spending an ungodly amount on higher priced equipment so i can eat a gram of distillate a day.

Here is another reason for the cheap distillation setup…So i told you this all was just so i didnt have to buy $65 grams of distillate from the dispensary. Do you really think i care if i eat 1.2g of 85% distillate vs 1g of 90%+ distillate. I get it from a marketing sales point if i were selling it. But i really dont have to pass it a second time i realized cause im not even smoking it. I just eat it.

17 Likes

That’s a Beaker & Wrench adapter.

https://www.beakerandwrench.com/product-page/copy-of-kf25-to-29-42-male-female-glass-adapter

2 Likes

Bon apetite :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

i cant figure out the right way to smoke it. If i dab it…even the dispensary stuff. It tastes like shit. Even when i mix it will sauce or somethng…i dont like the taste of the sauce afterwards. I dont wanna add it to cartridges cause then i have to cut it with something like artificial terpenes or some sort of dilutant.

i can add it to my joints but then they run. I know not all medicine tastes good. I usually just open a pack of gushers and add drops to all of them. It tastes great. With the gusher candy you really dont even notice the distillate and i get medicated.

Please if you guys have a way for me to smoke distillate to not have it taste like shit…please speak up…Ill buy

5 Likes

You just keep eating iT for iT s the healtyst way and we want You around for a long time its all yust a fantastic story :facepunch:

6 Likes

oil soluble flavors for eating like:

or
https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-258-oil-soluble-flavors.aspx

For smoking:

https://www.bullcityflavors.com/inawera/

To be honest all the botanical terps taste pretty crappy and you don’t like how hte tastes, so quality flavors are your best option. The vape industry has been around for a lot longer than the cannabis vape industry, and have had time for lawsuits and testing. People give vape flavors a hard time, but most of the time they are safer than terps.

If you still want to work with terps, a sweetening agent helps:

3 Likes
  1. For sizing I would suggest to size the boiling flask as 2x larger than the weight you will most commonly run. So if you want to do 500g batches get a 1000mL setup.
  2. Our mantles are very affordability but still great quality. Has the heated top that plugs in the back, internal thermocouple, etc. As for glass do not get chinese. It’s not impossible to find quality chinese glass but it is rare. The U.S glass all has higher standards which is very important for higher vacuum levels.
    When it comes to something specifically made for cannabis that is going to cost a bit more, but considering the ROI and the value of materials to be distilled the risk of inferior equipment becomes too high.
  3. No problem going too large you can always throttle it down with valves when needed.
  4. Cheap: chiller/heater, stands, clamps, etc. cold trap (can use immersion traps for small volume)
    Quality: Boiling flask, head, mantle, vacuum pump.

If you want to save some $$$ give us a call. I know exactly how you can get started with the smallest upfront cost while not sacrificing quality.

13 Likes

You guys were the first spd glassware company that I found out about and have always had a great attitude and all around feel. I hope to have at least some of your glassware for my mini setup

3 Likes

That’s awesome. I appreciate the kind words! Sometimes it feels like people forget about us :disappointed_relieved:

10 Likes

I notice some short path heads have a vacuum port while others do not. Is there any advantage to buying one that does have a port since you’re already pulling vacuum at the cow?

You can have a vacuum gauge in the system. In system vac level and vac at the pump at the same time

3 Likes

IT s a port for a gauge not a pump If not al vapors end in the pump or beyond :grinning:

2 Likes