Photochemical Decarboxylation of CBDa to CBD?

Heat-activated decarboxylation of CBDa isn’t viable in my current situation, and I’ve read in a number of places that decarboxylation can also occur through photochemical reactions.

I’ve read a number of articles with a variety of circumstances – blue light, UV light, visible light, mild-visible light-- but none of these have a particular focus on volatile aromatic compounds.

Would any of you have an idea of how to effectively decarboxylate 1.5+ liters of coconut oil extractive using light? (Light type, Intensity, duration)

Any input is appreciated

1 Like

You do not have access to a great source of any kind but you have access to various specialized light sources?

We were just asked to cease heat decarboxylation because of the incredible odor it produces throughout our building. Light-mediated decarboxylation would dramatically reduce the odor and we would not need to move off-site to process our materials

Ahhh nice seeing someone talk about this.

If you want to find the secrets of the Universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration. Nikola Tesla.

I have one question? Define light :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just use uv light to destroy smell?

Why throw everything out the window as far as procedure? If you can supply an alternative option that will increase air quality and work production and Safty

2 Likes

Or decarb in closed vessel

1 Like

The wave-particle that makes you squint
or
The wave-particle that makes colors
or
The wave-particle that degrades peoples DNA
or
The wave-particle that sterilizes equipment

3 Likes

Why not condense all the aromatic compounds created through heat decarboxylation in a cold trap? Like cold finger dry ice style, nothing will get past 2 of them in line

That’s us–

We’re looking back into pressure chambers, considering a cold trap, and wanted to explore the photochemical idea for continuous passive decarb

1 Like

No matter what type of wave or frequency - its all the same. Just its oscillations change its energy. So why you looking at light :sunglasses:? I’ll throw one more bone…

“The wave-particle that makes colors” - how exactly are colors made?

A great time for a request - any quantum physicist amongst us? I’m sure you would love to pick my teams brain.

2 Likes

You need to consider what light will do to the molecule. Forcing a radical to form and decarboxylate might do other undesired things to the CBD. There is an alkene present in CBD and that can react with radicals.

PM me. I used to do a lot of photochemistry in academia. I’m not saying that I know how to do this, but I am familiar with setting up photoreactions and making complex molecules with light.

1 Like

@Roguelab :rabbit2::rabbit2::rabbit2:

The reason I don’t like decarbing in coconut oil.

1. Store coconut oil in a cool, dark place. Exposure to light, heat, and air can cause quick rancidity of your oil.