Pentane extracts!!

Ultimately, that is the only thing that matters at the end of the day… Well, that, and making a safe to consume extract! I haven’t gotten the chance to play around with pentane yet because I can only find it in 5 gallon, or larger. I just want a couple of liters to play around with a cold soxhlet extraction…

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed its properties. Invest in a good full face gas mask. It is essential!

Edit: the one and only thing with pentane is the toxicity. Putting my money where my mouth is ive picked my rig back up and ive been dabbing my own pentane stuff. For safety of course.

1 Like

The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH, 2008) has set a recommended exposure limit (REL) of 120 ppm (350 mg/m3) for n-pentane as an 8-hour time-weighted average to protect against irritation of the eyes, skin, and nose, drowsiness, and narcosis.

No.

3 Likes

Alright sir I’m assuming school is in session here and I’m fixing for a learning. Should we be having a deeper conversation here? Have I erroneously gone about my ways? I’m all ears.

1 Like

Unless you’re at 0ppm. I wouldn’t use pentane.

1 Like

10-4 sir.

1 Like

I was under the impression that other than hexane, alkanes are pretty inert. Is pentane actually worse for you than butane?

Edit: not that I suggest tane-soup by any means

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of pentane being acceptable in the end product, unless zero ppm or close to

1 Like

According to the USP OVI assessments, 0.5% would be allowable in a drug product. Or, more specifically a daily intake of 500mg. Same with ethanol and all the other class III solvents. Again, not saying we don’t arrive for ND on all these solvents but it’s not like having leftover methanol

4 Likes

I mean, you could have continued to the next sentence which says (and I will quote)

Damn dude, I could understand if I completely negated safety, but show the whole picture rather than nit-picking

3 Likes

It’s not like I deleted the text of what you said, my bad if it rubbed you that coarse. That wasn’t my intent, it was more to just reply to the statement that I did.

Edit:

And also, dude. It’s you that took my copying of your quote wrong. That was me replying to him, using your sentence as dialog. Not in reply to you. Simmer down

3 Likes

That would be for oral ingestion, correct? Is there any information on vapor inhalation?

For all drug applications (e.g. including nasal inhalers and nebulizers). You are correct that it doesn’t address vaporization directly cause, well, that’s generally not an acceptable way to take any other drug lol. FWIW, I think the only byproducts of heating pentane (or butane) would be water, CO2, and potentially some smaller hydrocarbons.

That’s what I was able to find. That’s why I strongly suggest 0ppm. I’m not opposed to using it the way we normally do for isolation and we usually try to get to 0ppm on that. I feel if it wasn’t an issue with pentane, we wouldn’t try so hard to get it all out. With butane, it’s a feather in the hat, but with pentane it’s expected.

1 Like

Google tells me we breathe approx 16.8 m^3 of air in 8 hours, so that TWA is nearly 6g per 8 hour day

3 Likes

Granted that’s still quite the concentration, but that’s not very much. You can watch the scale change in front of you if you had a beaker with some in there

1 Like

Sorry, I apologize… I just felt like you highlighted on the bad portion of the advice, when safety was advised in the next sentence. I don’t want anyone to consume anything bad for them (like you).
Even if they like that hint of alkane burn-off during their dab…

3 Likes

Again, for sure shoot for zero solvent left. But I wouldn’t classify pentane as a solvent that you shouldn’t use without analytics. After all, you’ll have to dab an awful lot of anything to get 6g of pentane

4 Likes

That smell is pretty distinct

5 Likes

You are very correct.

3 Likes