Pentane extracts!!

Who’s done em???

I realize the affinity is real low. Was thinking either soxhlet or ultrasonic to beef it up.

If I had to hazard a guess it would end up turpy and waxy?

The low boiling point makes for nice turp retention.

I hear you can taste it in the low ppm though.

Anyone played with them before?

2 Likes

good color extract. no water soluble bullshit. very volatile, but easy to condense. moderate wax pickup.
high volatility makes easy purge. easy crystals due to solubility control. i like it.

12 Likes

Any SOP? Soak time/temps?

^^^ Interested as well in SOP

3 Likes

also interested, I have a GREAT price on pentane right now and I am using it for other projects so would like to see other SOPs.

I have a few large ish soxhlets but would be interested in a bulk bulk tek. looking at 100# a day currently

2 Likes

Shameless plug for my own machinations :stuck_out_tongue:

Working on a bigger unit pretty quick :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am planning to do a small pentane extract this weekend.

going to put decarbed trims in a 3 liter mason jar. Freeze it (home freezer, minus 20celsius)
Also gonna freeze 3 liter of pentane (same temp)

Then fill the jar up with pentane. Let it sit for 5 minutes, maybe stir a bit :'))

Then filter it trough cheesecloth.

2 Likes

Being extremely nonpolar wouldn’t it stand to reason a pentane extract would be high in wax and fat content?

1 Like

Yeah likely
Got a chromatograph today. Gonna run some tests once it gets dialed in on my first pentane runs.

2 Likes

I use pentane all the time to extract my small flowers. It boils at under 90 degrees F so it’s easy to distill with a hot water/cold water set-up. I do 3 1-hour soaks at room temp (the last one is almost clear) and distill it with a closed system involving 2 jars and a condenser placed in a bucket of hot (not boiling) water and one of ice/salt/water for the condenser and the receiving bottle. No smell until the end when you pour it out of the jar and have to flash off that little bit needed to be with the concentrate so it can pour easily. Once it’s evaporated that little bit it can be heated on a stirrer for preparation of cartridges and that will get rid of any remaining hydrocarbon taste without a purge. It’s pretty darn clear, enough so you can fill a cartridge and go through it without clogging.

6 Likes

I use pentane for recrystalization from bho crystals. Dissolve 2:1 ratio and basically just do any hydrocarbon crystal tek and I’ve had good results.

8 Likes

im slowly buying stainless parts that will end up amounting to a massive soxhlet extractor, super stoked to try this.

3 Likes

What do you guys think of using pentane to extract and using butane or even propane as the accellerant to move things through a closed loop system?

2 Likes

just push it through with nitrogen. it doesn’t work well if your trying to make diamonds though.

3 Likes

Is there any reason to not consider centrifuge Tek?

The fumes

3 Likes

Yup, need to keep everything At 0 I’d say at least. Vapor pressure is real

O yea especially with hexane or pentane since it’s so volatile

1 Like

Like Delta CUP

Sorry was in new member quarantine and couldn’t clarify.

Is there anything about the technology that could be adapted? Or is the consensus the Ethanol is the way to go?

I think alkanes are superior to Ethanol in many ways. The pentane is considerably better than ethanol for terpene retention.

2 Likes