Optimizing your RotoVap

I went with smaller pump

2 Likes

I can’t help but say this man: your wallpaper reminds me of Garden State

Joking aside, that looks like a very suitable pump

5 Likes

Man I haven’t seen that movie in a grip! Might have to find it and watch it. I’m a little quirky like that so I can sympathize.
Dat wallpaper Do…

1 Like

Need the matching shirt

2 Likes

power supply: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194B7VQG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can someone plz tell me why i have this puddle.and get a constant drip?

Reflux! More heat or more vac

2 Likes

Im starting 0.1 Mpa. Lowering to .075 when see precip start… 45 on mantle… 100rpm

I have a small.leak which i will be fixing tommorow… Is that the cause?

Probably needs more vac, what is your condenser/chiller temperature set at?

0 … Rising to 1.5 at most.

Your vacuum pressure is no where near as strong as you want it to be. .1Mpa is almost literally no vacuum, almost standard atmospheric pressure, .075MPa is a little stronger but not by much. Using the Rule of 20, you want your bath temp to be 20C higher than your desired vapor temperature. Let’s say that your desired vapor temperature is 30C (im assuming your solvent is Ethanol)… you’ll need 0.0097MPa vacuum pressure, with bath (or mantle) set to 50C to achieve efficient recovery.

You can mess around with parameters using this rule depending on your equipment limitations, but be careful… too high a temp for the bath will degrade your product.

https://rotovaps.net/blogs/blog/putting-the-rule-of-20-into-practice

4 Likes

Also, if by any chance you made a typo in your post (actual value .0075MPa instead of .075) and you have the correct vacuum pressure., the leak could definitely be the cause.

1 Like

I have personally yet to ever see a problem. I run my bath at 90, 60rpm (50L) and 80rpm (20L)

3 Likes

My apologies, I should’ve wrote in that I wasn’t referring to a specific product. Just a rule of thumb in general when optimizing a Rotovap for a wide range of applications…

Awesome to see you have success with ranges in the higher temps, though!

2 Likes

Same trick works with the smaller rotovaps.

Only now you use a 1.5” tri-clamp cap/adapter, and there is no one sided gasket you can purchase (@Soxhlet ?).

I found stacking a silicone gasket on top of the OEM gasket works.

8 Likes

Whatevers clever brotha! :call_me_hand: :100:

2 Likes

Where did you get this little guy?

It looks similar to these…

3 Likes

I’m just recovering ethanol, and even then there shouldn’t be much interaction between the solvent stream & the silicone gasket with the OEM gasket in there as well.

For folks that are recovering more aggressive solvents, a ptfe version of the 2” “sanke adapter” gasket stacked on the OeM gasket might be appropriate.

2 Likes

Alas, tis just a threaded 1/2" sight glass with adapters. That one you’re showing looks like it was made from the ends of some FNW 3 piece ball valves

2 Likes