Optimizing your RotoVap

I’ve tried writing a strongly worded letter to my evaporator and it just didn’t have the same effect

5 Likes

Try sending that letter at 28kHz…maybe as an F# :shushing_face:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308807732_A_DIY_Ultrasonic_Signal_Generator_for_Sound_Experiments

Really brings new meaning to “screaming solvent recovery”…

6 Likes

This is exactly the thing I was hoping to sit down and read. I just queried @rowan as to the nature of making a massive ultrasonic generator from scratch and well, it seems like it’s doable in a Sudanese college at least (disclaimer, haven’t read the whole thing yet)

7 Likes

And the boss dragged home a bucket of transducers? So jealous…

3 Likes

The conversation went something like:

Bossman: “ultrasonic humidifiers are really expensive, I’m going to buy some off alibaba”

“Do you realize these are JUST buckets of water and ultrasonic transducers???”

“Do you REALIZE how cheap ultrasonic transducers are from China???”

Me: “I think you need a power supply or something”

Bossman: “they run off 12v”

Me: “I think it’s slightly more involved that that”

Bossman: “I already ordered 400”

Edit: and now, for $300 worth of junk from China, I will become an expert on electrical engineering for ultrasonic cells lol. This. This is how it happens

11 Likes

I’ve heard folks throwing ultrasonics at all sorts of random shit, this however makes sense.

Good luck.

Please report back.

4 Likes

If I ever get a whisper out of one of these things I surely will

3 Likes

Send. Me. Some. Transducers.

I will make use of them and share all data

2 Likes

This sumbitch was heavy…

15 Likes

What’s the ufo saucer

4 Likes

I’m repurposing the original glass condenser as a cold trap and that’s the collection for it

5 Likes

So. Sick. Can’t wait to see it runnin @SidViscous beautiful

4 Likes

All that’s left is some chilled water piping and the feed keg

21 Likes

What’s the thing that looks blacked out @SidViscous? Looks awesome bet ya excited to fire it up!

2 Likes

that’s the super secret ultrasonic transducer of course

Lol, nah it’s just an infrastructure detail that I can’t share.

Super excited to get her cranking. I’m worried that 1/2" tube between the receiving flask and keg won’t be able to keep up with the flow lol

4 Likes

Sick!

2 Likes

I love it Bro!!! Fucking amazing! You guys never cease to amaze me with some of the awesome shit you guys do!

4 Likes

Fuck this took me a solid couple min to understand the path. Looks killer dude

4 Likes

I love field-fabbing this stuff. It’s so much more fun than actually running the equipment IMO

Can’t wait to throw away the rotovap portion at some point when we can’t generate nearly enough vapor to feed the condensers

6 Likes

Oh my… That’s… I have no words…

1 Like