Optimizing your RotoVap

The usalab kegs come with two 1.5ā€ ports with sight glasses on top, a six inch top port with dual dip tubes and a 2ā€ connection ā€¦ and a 1.5ā€ drain portā€¦ pretty tricked out

2 Likes

should i use Ping pong balls with the dome?

I used to make coffee in my buchner lol

Itā€™s just a fancy chemex

@Siosis Unless youā€™re doing the work yourself, that price seems comparable or better than having a fabricator modify a single keg for you (in the US). If they do a lot of them, they (should) have tricks that make it easier, but that seems like fair amount of keg mod for $419.

I like the dual 1/2" dip-tubes and angled ports. I might have to steal the dual dip-tubes :wink:

I recall poly-carbonate requiring special coatings to be resistant to ethanol, and question the longevity of the OEM sight glasses.

2 Likes

Dual keg receivers on a 50l. :thinking:

Going to plumb the vac feed in just like on the glass onesā€¦and chances are Iā€™ll only run one keg here. The other one goes on the feed line.

25 Likes

How can I get the one of those stainless fittings for my re-501? Dm with quote?

@GroovyOctopusLabs, just start digging through your spare tri-clamp parts. If I remember right, this is just a 2" concentric reducer with a 1.5" barbed cap with the appropriate sized silicone tube to connect to the kegs. No need for specialty parts. We didnā€™t order any special new parts. It was just what was on hand

5 Likes

Where did you get the clamp to hold it into place? The clamp looks speacial made.

Itā€™s the stock clamp that came with the unit. I was really surprised myself! It helps to have a gasket that is flat on one side. Using the flat side against the glass helps when trying to pull vac.

4 Likes

heady af

1 Like

I do it every day i cant imagine doing it any other way

Iā€™ve been doing it ever since posting that lol

1 Like

Has anyone tried doing this adaptation to the actual condenser? Thinking about using a 6x36 shotgun condenser on top of the main condenser on a 20L rotovap. Shopping for the rotovap now so I donā€™t know the dimensions of the glass port on the primary condenser. Trying to keep as much solvent out of our cold trap as possible.

1 Like

I actually have everything on the way to do this but on a reactor not a roto. Seems a lot cheaper and more modular than glass roto condensors

1 Like

Iā€™ll race you! Just ordered some stuff to throw a 3x18 on our 30L. Iā€™ll throw some pics/specs up on what it does for our recovery rate.

1 Like

Lol i got a head start already but hell yea Lmk what it does for recovery rate. Iā€™m pairing it with a polyscience chiller. Iā€™m adding a 3 way valve and another bellow hose between the bottom of the condenser and the keg but they havenā€™t come in yet.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty slick setup. It would probably be pretty sweet for catching terps during decarb depending on how low the chiller goes, especially if youā€™re pulling vac on the top of the condenser. Iā€™m probably being dense but what purpose is the 3 way valve going to serve?

I donā€™t have a fancy cryo chiller but I do have a near endless (215 Rton) supply of 6C water from our building chiller. Iā€™m running a grundfos UP43 which should push some pretty serious flow so Iā€™m excited to see what she can do.

2 Likes

Thanks i got that reactor cheap af so i tried to come up with a way to use it for ethanol recovery because i hit a bottleneck on my 5L roto. Yea Iā€™m pulling vac from the top of the condenser and just pumping hot water through the jacket until i get silicone heat transfer fluid. The 3 way valve will have the bellow coming from the reactor to it then the condenser on top and a bellow connected to the bottom which connects to the keg so it has a flexible connection and i can shut the valve and remove the keg. This same setup could be added to a rotovap but with a 2ā€ tri clamp connecting where the condenser usually connects then connect that to a 2ā€ 3 way valve.

I like your chiller idea that seems way more cost effective than buying a 10k chiller, youā€™d just need a good pump and more surface area on the condenser. What size shotgun condenser did you order?

Iā€™m going to hook up a 3x18" that I have on hand and make sure the concept works and then probably order a 6x24.

We already use the chilled water for the glass condensers and itā€™s awesome. we have a 5kw bath with 6 immersion circulators in it and heat is still our limitation (running at 46C usually). Iā€™m afraid to hook that big a pump up to a glass coil though.

The best part is that that monster literally cost less than $10k off Craigslist ($9500 baby!). It was kind of a bitch to get running because it was decommissioned like 10 years ago and weā€™re in for probably $50k with the cooling tower (also Craigslist) and associated pumps/piping but it handles 15k sqft of grow with ease and loads like this are a rounding error on its capacity.

Next up is running a drop from the 4.5M btu boiler to fix that heating restriction.

3 Likes