Optimizing your RotoVap

I don’t run a cold trap anymore, just make sure the upper condenser isn’t dripping - the half liter of ethanol I lose every other day or so if I’m being aggressive with evap is not a big deal to me rn.

6 Likes

I can tell when the keg is full after I put 15 gal through the unit. I can have my fab guy put a sight glass port on the top but as of now have not had any issues paying attention to how much ethanol goes in.

5 Likes

That does, of course, makes sense. :spoon:

Place a weight scale under the keg and weigh a full keg :grin:

2 Likes

I DO have a floor scale.

just had it overfill on me for the first time just now actually… super not a big deal, closed the valve (dernord off of amazon are great 2" ball valves, holds the vac well) and put a fresh clean towel under the clamp… towel goes into the centrifuge and I get my booze back. easy.

5 Likes

Off label use: warm yesterday’s coffee because the microwave is still on order.

19 Likes

Ha. You know with the temperature control and agitation might be a good thing to make tea in.

1 Like

Thank you!!! @Rowan

The fit is not perfect, but it is certainly close enough!

Even with wheels under the keg I’ve got at least 6” of height to play with between the keg and that 2” triclamp reducer.

Indeed!

Edit: I haven’t pulled vac yet. if there is a leak I suspect this silicone “half flat” triclamp gasket https://www.brewershardware.com/F1GASSIL.html will solve the problem.

the also carry them in viton and PTFE.

I usually just make one out of a regular PTFE gasket using a razor blade :wink:

10 Likes

Who’d you get your keg from? USA labs has kegs with all the ports ready to go but they’re 425$

Because I like the 6” top hole.

Monday is :fork_and_knife: day. Rotovap solvent recovery time? - #25 by Thetetraguy

4 Likes

You can get the GLG discount and probs y’all em down quite a bit if you’re ordering multiples

1 Like

The usalab kegs come with two 1.5” ports with sight glasses on top, a six inch top port with dual dip tubes and a 2” connection … and a 1.5” drain port… pretty tricked out

2 Likes

should i use Ping pong balls with the dome?

I used to make coffee in my buchner lol

It’s just a fancy chemex

@Siosis Unless you’re doing the work yourself, that price seems comparable or better than having a fabricator modify a single keg for you (in the US). If they do a lot of them, they (should) have tricks that make it easier, but that seems like fair amount of keg mod for $419.

I like the dual 1/2" dip-tubes and angled ports. I might have to steal the dual dip-tubes :wink:

I recall poly-carbonate requiring special coatings to be resistant to ethanol, and question the longevity of the OEM sight glasses.

2 Likes

Dual keg receivers on a 50l. :thinking:

Going to plumb the vac feed in just like on the glass ones…and chances are I’ll only run one keg here. The other one goes on the feed line.

25 Likes

How can I get the one of those stainless fittings for my re-501? Dm with quote?

@GroovyOctopusLabs, just start digging through your spare tri-clamp parts. If I remember right, this is just a 2" concentric reducer with a 1.5" barbed cap with the appropriate sized silicone tube to connect to the kegs. No need for specialty parts. We didn’t order any special new parts. It was just what was on hand

5 Likes

Where did you get the clamp to hold it into place? The clamp looks speacial made.