Opinions on Membranes

My observations are that fouling mainly happens in situations where your flow is slow or non existent. So for instance, if you leave concentrated tincture in the system overnight just sitting, there will be a decline in performance once you turn it on again the next day. Fortunately, I’ve also found this to be pretty reversable through just rinsing clean solvent through it with low pressure and high speed. To best avoid fouling:

1. Always leave your membranes on clean solvent at the end of the day – don’t leave them sitting in gunk.
  2. Run the recommended crossflow rates, don’t skimp with too weak of a pump (for instance, the pumps provided by sterlitech are too small for most brands at the size they’re supposed to run)
6 Likes

Fouling happens when you don’t properly maintenence your skid or you have too many undissolved solids in your repentate

We require maintenance logs or it voids your warranty

When someone has a problem the first thing we do is look at the maintenance logs, if there hasn’t been maintenance lately we know why fouling is occurring

We can actually test degradation / fouling on our membanes with a conductivity test

4 Likes

which begs the question: when are we gonna mimic biology and use active transport of our favorite molecules?

maybe staring long and hard at Sodium/Glucose transporters and CB1 and CB2 ?!?

I’m not getting salty, I’m just pushing cannabinoids across a membrane :wink:

Edit: the concept of “facilitated transport” exists in both biological and industrial membranes…

Facilitated Transport Membrane - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
Facilitated diffusion - Wikipedia

10 Likes

Ethos membrane housings will not stand up to the pressures required for evonik membranes, from what I have seen.

We sell whole solutions for membrane winterization and desolavtion at Ecosce. In fact, we pioneered both applications in cannabis.